How to install MineOS-node in a jail (alternative to using the MineOS plugin)

I just successfully installed the plugin on FreeNAS-11.3-U2 The only odd thing I noted is that, when using NAT networking, the Admin portal URL shows incorrect in the post install popup, but it's correct everywhere else in the WebUI.

Mark_the_Red

Dabbler
How did you get the jar / tar files? When I start the mineos gui I have no server list to choose from. What step did I miss? I am following the instructions on page 1 to a letter.

You'll start out without any Minecraft servers. That's where the MineOS UI comes in; you first download a profile and than create a server.

There's a link to the instructional video in this post or just search YouTube.

Hazimil

Contributor
Hi, I'm trying to setup MineOS, and getting an error with pkg install rdiff-backup (or sysutils/rdiff-backup):

Code:
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'sysutils/rdiff-backup' have been found in the repositories

pkg has been set to use latest not quarterly.

Any ideas?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Use this as a guide:

pkg install doesn't take the category prefixes like "www/" so it's supposed to be pkg install rdiff-backup.
If package cannot be found because the guide laggs behind, you can always try a pkg search rdiff, to name one example.

HTH,
Patrick

P.S. I assume you are trying this in a jail. It won't work on the FreeNAS host system.

Hazimil

Contributor
Hi yes, within a Jail. Doing pkg install rdiff-backup fails:

Code:
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'rdiff-backup' have been found in the repositories

pkg search rdiff gives:

Code:
colordiff-1.0.19               Tool to colorize diff output
dirdiff-2.1_4                  Graphical diff tool
py37-rdiff-backup-2.0.0        Easy to use and efficient backup and restore utility

Going to try "py37-rdiff-backup-2.0.0".

J.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Yes, the python based ports have grown a version prefix some time ago, so that is the one.
pkg install py37-rdiff-backup, drop the version number when installing.

Hazimil

Contributor
Right, all installed but connecting to the admin page is not working. Will have a look at what I done wrong now :)

Thanks @Patrick M. Hausen for the help.

Jonathan

Hazimil

Contributor
Will have a look at what I done wrong now :)

Sorted, I had https:// instead of http://

Now to create a server and get the kids off me back!

J.

CAM FAV

Cadet
Hello

I'm new in Freenas/Truenas and i have some issues with this installation.
I don't know what you need in terms of informations.

I try to install Mineos with the plugins section but it failed at 75/90% of the installation. So i followed the steps on the first page of this topic but i'm stuck at the 6. When i want to connect in Mineos on the web page it failed. I tape ID and PW (mcserver both) but nothing come it's like my page got refresh all the time.

I try to reinstall a couple of times in case i did someting wrong but nothing change.

If someone can help me with that, taht would be great.

Thank you for your help.

PS: sorry if i'm not in the right section or if you need more informations, tell me what you need. Oh eh sorry for my English BTW.

CAM FAV

Cadet

JemJem99

Cadet
Hi Jurgen,

Bit of a dumb question, With regards to #2. How do I shell into my jail? Can this be done using putty or?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Putty or if you are on Windows 10 you can just type ssh <user>@<ip address> at a command prompt.

To get into the jail you have two options. Either enable sshd inside the jail and use the jail's IP address or connect to your NAS as root and enter iocage console <myjailname>.

JemJem99

Cadet
Thanks Patrick!, I have done this and now managed to get the MineOS running on my freenas server. Problem is I am trying to organize port forwarding. I have port forwarded 25565 on both TCP/UDP and directed it to the local IP of the server, but I am now having trouble with having others connect. I can connect locally though.

Glad to hear you got MineOS to work!

You didn't give much context on your network setup. Here are some questions/guesses to guide you:
  • To start with the obvious... are the others connecting to your public IP address?
  • How do have the port-forwarding set up? There are some tools out there you can use to check if the port is open, e.g. https://www.whatismyip.com/port-scanner/
  • Your ISP might be blocking certain ports, you could try another external port and see if that works.
  • Are you using a dynamic-DNS service? This is not strictly required but a major convenience if your are into hosting some services in the long run. You likely don't have a fixed IP and that way, you won't have to inform the others when your IP address changed for some reason.

JemJem99

Cadet
Hi Jurgen,

Sorry should have been a bit more informative with the last reply.

• Yes others are connecting to my public IP.
  • I have setup the port forward to be the external port of 25565 and internal port of 25565 and pointing to the internal IP address of the FreeNAS, I have checked these ports in port checkers however they keep saying that port 25565 is closed. Is it possible to use a different external port number and have the internal one still point to 25565?
  • I was reading my router's manual and it said a range of ports are reserved for VOIP RT? Unfortunately the 25565 falls into that range and I think that might be the issue.
  • Yes I will update the others on my public IP as it changes.

• My consensus is that the router I am currently using is not allowing the port forwarding for some reason, I have for example opened port 8443 and it shows as open and vice versa when I close it.
  • My last question, is with regards to your original post #1 when creating the jail you set the iocage nat_forwards. Are these the only ports that will work with the Minecraft server. (I can only change to those ports that we entered originally in the creation of the jail for the Minecraft server to work properly??)
Thanks again for the fast reply!!

JemJem99

Cadet
Hi Jurgen,

I got home not to long ago and experimented with choosing the external ports and mapping to the 25565 internal port.

I managed to find and external port that opened successfully, from which I directed it to the internal port of 25565.

Only thing I had to get my friend to do was to specify the port at the end of the public IP. e.g. 10.12.37.45:7070

Thanks again for everyone's help, much appreciated!!!

My last question, is with regards to your original post #1 when creating the jail you set the iocage nat_forwards. Are these the only ports that will work with the Minecraft server.

If you use NAT for your jail's networking: yes.
You can add ports if needed, or use set NAT=0 and DHCP=1 instead. When using NAT, the FreeNAS/TrueNAS host acts as a router and assigns the jail an internal IP and forwards the specified ports to the jail. With DHCP, the MineOS jail will get its own IP address from your router and those nat_forwards become meaningless.