How to install MineOS-node in a jail (alternative to using the MineOS plugin)

Visseroth

Guru
OK, I haven't had a lot of time to work on this problem but I suspected I knew what the problem was or is but am not sure how to fix the problem.
The problem is that "mount -t linprocfs linprocfs /mnt/volume01/jails/mineos_jail/usr/compat/linux/proc" is not persistant and needs to be made persistent.
I tested this theory by shutting down the jail, running the mount command, starting up the jail and WALLA everything I previously did is there!
Any ideas?

That's how it works for warden jails in 11.1; stopping the jail will unmount linprocfs. The post-init script does this when you reboot the FreeNAS host, but every time you restart the mineos jail manually, you'll also need to manually rerun the mount command.
The new iocage jails in 11.2 have an option to do mount linprocfs automatically.

BillCardiff

Explorer
Arrrg. Nothing. I can install, update, run. The individual servers can run forever, right up until someone joins them. Then you have 10 seconds of play time before they crash out. At my wits end. Any help would be appreciated. 3 daughters, a nephew, and 2 family relatives all staring at me.

There have been some reports that there are issues with the latest version of Java and Minecraft. Questions:
  • What exact version of FreeNAS are you using?
  • Are you using iocage jails or Warden jails?
  • What is the output of java -version in your mineos jail?
Quick fix: If you are running 11.2-RELEASE or higher: Install the mineos plugin jail as per this post: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/freenas-9-plugin-mineos.20122/page-28#post-499046
There is another post in that thread that explains how you can migrate your minecraft servers

BillCardiff

Explorer
11.2 - iocage - and ...

openjdk version "1.8.0_192"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_192-b26)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.192-b26, mixed mode)

I don't like that way the plugin behaves. Maybe it's the way I installed the plugin. It ended up showing my main server NIC as the plugin IP, basically kidnapping my NIC. Possibly though installing it using that method it won't behave that way.

Yeah, the instructions are to used "shared IP", to get you started. Once the plugin is installed and running correctly, you can change the network settings to use "VNET" so that it has it's own network stack. You can do that using the FreeNAS UI; check the VNET checkbox and set the IP of your router in "default router".

The alternate install as per the post I referenced will use openjdk version 1.8.0_181 instead; something's off with 192.

BillCardiff

Explorer
I hadn't thought of a post edit. Will try that.

BillCardiff

Explorer
Sort of sucky about the 1.8.0 though, I am on quarterly, guessing the new year brought a new quarter.

BillCardiff

Explorer
nope. same basic result. dead server.
I create the plugin as per all instructions. I then post edited it so that it was using vnet0:bridge0 instead of the shared IP. It worked as I could create a minecraft server. I fired up Minecraft, could see the server, and just not able to connect to it. I'm exhausted.

Ugh.. you are correct; quarterly also switched to 1.8.0_192 I'll do some more research.

BillCardiff

Explorer
ALL GOOD !
I tried again, from scratch, copy and paste. Maybe I missed something. I then shut down and changed to my prefered network settings using vnet0 as the interface. I'm still playing. My daughters will stop nagging me !!!!

BillCardiff

Explorer
I am not concerned about migrating. They've been warned that they will probably be starting fresh and were ok with that. That I have it running is enough for me. Thank you sir.

Zack05

Cadet
Thanks so much for this thread. I am fairly new to FreeNAS and have a plex jail running. I am trying to add a jail for my son. I did the plugin but that only goes up to MC 12.2

My issue is with step 6.

You say stop the new jail and run the command. If the jail is stopped how can I shell in to run the command? I tried running in the shell of the root of the freenas but I received an error that my mnt is wrong. Which I see in the storage. Am I missing something simple?

Thanks

Visseroth

Guru
In FreeNAS 11 and newer you check this option under "Custom" when you edit the jail...
1559767577038.png

Pheran

Patron
Thanks so much for this thread. I am fairly new to FreeNAS and have a plex jail running. I am trying to add a jail for my son. I did the plugin but that only goes up to MC 12.2

I'm not sure what you mean about the plugin only going to 1.12, I'm running Minecraft 1.14 servers on it. Unless you are using an old version of FreeNAS which might have an obsolete version of the plugin? I'm on FreeNAS 11.2.

Zack05

Cadet
I'm not sure what you mean about the plugin only going to 1.12, I'm running Minecraft 1.14 servers on it. Unless you are using an old version of FreeNAS which might have an obsolete version of the plugin? I'm on FreeNAS 11.2.
You may be right there Pheran. This server is older and I used the MineOS plugin before going to 11.2 and using the new UI!

If it's been a while since you installed the plugin, you can execute the "Refresh Profile List" option from the top right menu. That should add all the latest and greatest profiles.

1559800034906.png