How to install it on windows

Dariusz1989

Contributor
Hey

I'm a home user, freenas user. Now that netData is dead (thanks... ;/ ) how can I install this app on windows 10x64 so that I can monitor my nas?

Thanks.

Adrian

Contributor
You need a VM.
The installation guide gives a VirtualBox example.
I use Hyper-V (4 GB memory, 80 GB IDE disk).

But, you may find that the better reporting facilities in 11.3-RELEASE are sufficient.

Dariusz1989

Contributor
But, you may find that the better reporting facilities in 11.3-RELEASE are sufficient.
Can you tell me how to co figure them to look like netdata stats that we had that updates every few milliseconds?
They are now useless to me. Everything require a refresh reload and the
Reporting is soo slow. I just want a wall of statistics with bookmarks on side like I had with previous tool.

Why do I need vm for true command. Im not running enterprise here. All I want is quick statistics with no " I need to learn 10 manuals and scripting and setup complex vm to use that tools" option. Net data had all I needed. I just needed IP address and boom. I had all I needed.

This is terrible!!!! :((((((

All is see in true command is " hey, if you want better statistics pay us monthly fee per plan and well allow it for u to have + configure/waste resources on vm setup".

Worst update ever :((((

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Running netdata inside a VM will not get you anywhere because you are (I figure) not that much interested in the performance data of the VM from the inside.
You could enable SNMP and then use any SNMP monitoring tool that is convenient. I would use Observium, but then again that requires a rather complex server setup. Possibly there's something with a one-click installer for your preferred desktop OS.

But you are not quite right about TrueCommand: it's free for as many FreeNAS systems as you like as long as the total number of disks is below 50. Which is quite a bunch and makes it essentially free for every home or small-office user.

Observium: https://www.observium.org

Dariusz1989

Contributor
Running netdata inside a VM will not get you anywhere because you are (I figure) not that much interested in the performance data of the VM from the inside.
I'm lost. I want netadata back, I never had to run it in vm before. Just run service tick and then enter ip.

You could enable SNMP and then use any SNMP monitoring tool that is convenient. I would use Observium, but then again that requires a rather complex server setup. Possibly there's something with a one-click installer for your preferred desktop OS.
I looked in snmp Google result. All I got is code scripts and config. Not what I want :(

Observium is paid as far as I can tell from their page. It has "free" option but I doubt it features... not sure. I'll read more on it.

But you are not quite right about TrueCommand: it's free for as many FreeNAS systems as you like as long as the total number of disks is below 50. Which is quite a bunch and makes it essentially free for every home or small-office user.

Observium: https://www.observium.org
FreeNas = home user
TrueNas =commercial

FreeCommand = when it gets released after trueCommand exit beta phase will be cut down version of it
TrueCommand = commercial enterprise product.

That's how they will split the product when they finish beta of the TrueCommand.

And I want neither of these 2 options as they are overkill for heartbeat type statistics monitoring for zfs performance, temps, etc etc. Really netData is all a basic user needs. 0 config time, quick easy monitoring. All that truecommand over is overcomllicated tool for basic needs.

Its equal of using flamethrower to trim my garden grass. I dont need it. I just want simple tool....

: ((((((((((

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I'm lost. I want netadata back, I never had to run it in vm before. Just run service tick and then enter IP.
Netdata is gone. Period.

I looked in snmp Google result. All I got is code scripts and config. Not what I want :(
Go to services menue, tick SNMP on, then you can use an external SNMP-Monitoring Tool to watch your FreeNAS.

FreeNas = home user
TrueNas =commercial
Correct.

FreeCommand = when it gets released after trueCommand exit beta phase will be cut down version of it
TrueCommand = commercial enterprise product.

That's how they will split the product when they finish beta of the TrueCommand.
Wrong. TrueCommand 1.1 is released and still free for installations with less than 50 disks. I run it.

Its equal of using flamethrower to trim my garden grass. I don't need it. I just want simple tool....
Use the dashboard. Make reasonable polite feature requests to improve it.

Patrick

Dariusz1989

Contributor
Netdata is gone. Period.

Go to services menue, tick SNMP on, then you can use an external SNMP-Monitoring Tool to watch your FreeNAS.

Correct.

Wrong. TrueCommand 1.1 is released and still free for installations with less than 50 disks. I run it.

Patrick

The more I look in to snmp the more I see it as large enterprise tool instead if simple monitor that I need. Also as far as I can tell the looking rate is nothing near what netdata was covering. How is this better for simple home user ?

Patrick

There are too many issues to eve start requesting changes to it. Most of the requests will be answered with " use truecommand or snmp". So what's the point ? The simple request would be to make it work like net data. With simple overview at top of page of what netdata has and then bookmarks on side to scroll down to relevant in depth reporting ? I mean it was perfect ; ((((

Can true command even run in freenas vm ?! Or do I need to make windows vm and then start vm inside that vm to run truecommand and mess up my freenas power draw from 20w at the moment to 60 because my cpu will work overtime to support all the vms to allow me to have simple cpu temp hdd temp transfer speeds and zfs statistics monitoring ?

I'm failing to see how any if these snmp and truecommand are of any benefit at all to home users. All it does is force us to go through pages of tech documents, painfully installation process to get us to a stage that offer lower quality monitoring than what we had with netData. + possibly costs as I bet most of snmp will have some feature behind pay wall. Like you want a pooling at 1s instead of 10s ? Pay 10$ a month.

Was keeping netData service really that much of a pain ?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Can true command even run in freenas vm ?!
Of course. I'm running it that way. It's FreeBSD based, so why wouldn't it?

I'm failing to see how any if these snmp and truecommand are of any benefit at all to home users.
There's the Dashboard. Why would a home user constantly stare at a screen of live graphs?

I am not arguing it isn't useful - you are driving the "home user" point ...

Was keeping netData service really that much of a pain ?

Patrick

Dariusz1989

Contributor
Of course. I'm running it that way. It's FreeBSD based, so why wouldn't it?

There's the Dashboard. Why would a home user constantly stare at a screen of live graphs?

I am not arguing it isn't useful - you are driving the "home user" point ...

Patrick
Hmm

Have you read that topic ? Did not sound good towards the end... they also could not find the memory issues that is being used as reason for removal... thus I dont have an answer for that question so... ?
I run 13hdd nas and for as long as I remember I had 0 issues with netdata...

One thing they did notice is that it did not work on freenas vm so huh... I'll test that when I get home and report over the weekend.

But again I share their points. It's a forceful change that does NOT BENEFIT home user in any matter. It only decreases the monitoring we were given from netData.

What will people do if they cant vm it or dont have enough cores ? We are all left with native monitoring which is terrible and snmp commercial overcomplicated solutions.

I've also read that pooling is at 10s in trurcommand?! Is that true ?! This is terrible !!! : (((

To answer your question, do I stare at graphs ? Yes I do. Every time I tune my nas I watch carefully how it behaves and adjust based on that. Now I wont be able to do it. 10s is eternity in performance optimizations. It was immense help when I added cache driver and I was following the nas performance. I fine tuned many tunables thanks to that.