[HOW TO] Install and configure sonarr, radarr, and sabnzbd (11.1-U5)

hamlet423

Cadet
Sigh, everything has been fine for months, and for some reason tonight I went into my jail--named MediaJail and did
pkg update
pkg upgrade

and now nothing works. SABNZD gives an error about missing a python lib file. I guess it is because I am still on 11.1 and have not gone to 11.2 or something?

I went to my snapshots and tried to roll back --and nothing has happened. I did also clone a snapshot but I can't figure out how to get it running as a jail.

If nothing else....at least plex is safe in its own jail! I'd better make sure I' ve got snapshots of that set up! And...start fresh tomorrow with a new jail for the rest-unless anyone has any bright ideas!

Sigh, everything has been fine for months, and for some reason tonight I went into my jail--named MediaJail and did
pkg update
pkg upgrade

and now nothing works. SABNZD gives an error about missing a python lib file. I guess it is because I am still on 11.1 and have not gone to 11.2 or something?

I went to my snapshots and tried to roll back --and nothing has happened. I did also clone a snapshot but I can't figure out how to get it running as a jail.

If nothing else....at least plex is safe in its own jail! I'd better make sure I' ve got snapshots of that set up! And...start fresh tomorrow with a new jail for the rest-unless anyone has any bright ideas!
Sorry for the delayed response.

I'm not sure that your version of freenas is a factor, rather than it being a problem with sabnzbd. It seems that a lot of people have had issues with upgrading to the newest version of sabnzbd. I haven't attempted this yet on my system. I usually try to wait a bit before upgrading anything just to make sure that everything is good to go. Many people are also building each program in a separate jail for best practice. The benefit to this is that if one thing breaks then that's all you need to rebuild, rather than having to repair everything. I hope you get it all working right.

hamlet423

Cadet
No worried--I was able to rebuild everything--and figured out I made some mistakes in how I set up permissions--but now it is all fixed. And then made a new plex server. And set up a windows share so my windows computer is a backup plex server. And how to make sure both plex servers are available everywhere. So...its all good. But I will not do pkg update and pkg upgrade again until I guess I'm onto Freenas 11.2

JebusChristo

Cadet
Thanks so much for the guide. Being new to Freenas this is tremendously helpful.

One question. Are there any benefits to running everything in a single jail (step by step configuration thanks to the guide aside) as opposed to just installing each plugin separately through Freenas directly?

Kracazol

Dabbler
Great guide, thank you.

It all seems to be working correctly however i am having problems with permissions and would appreciate any help available

I have my windows share which i have added newmedia to as instructed, however when a new file is created by newmedia only newmedia has permissions for it, and i am unable to modify or delete that file when logged into my windows share.

Obviously if i log into the share using newuser then i have modify rights but i would have thought hat new files would inherit permissions from parent folders

Im totally open to the idea that im a total noob but any help or enlightenment would be great

Thanks so much for the guide. Being new to Freenas this is tremendously helpful.

One question. Are there any benefits to running everything in a single jail (step by step configuration thanks to the guide aside) as opposed to just installing each plugin separately through Freenas directly?
Running each service in a separate jail is certainly a better practice. One of the benefits would be that if during an update something broke you're only out one plugin instead of breaking all of them.

Great guide, thank you.

It all seems to be working correctly however i am having problems with permissions and would appreciate any help available

I have my windows share which i have added newmedia to as instructed, however when a new file is created by newmedia only newmedia has permissions for it, and i am unable to modify or delete that file when logged into my windows share.

Obviously if i log into the share using newuser then i have modify rights but i would have thought hat new files would inherit permissions from parent folders

Im totally open to the idea that im a total noob but any help or enlightenment would be great
Make sure that you don't have inherit permissions disabled when you are configuring them in windows.

upload_2018-11-25_4-27-45.png

Hope this helps.

Here are a few pointers that I sent to other users regarding upgrades.

I have not updgraded to 11.2 yet, so these have not been tested. When I get the time, I'll update the guide to include plex, transmission and freenas 11.2. Probably not until the new year.

The commands to update your services are:
pkg update
pkg upgrade
but if you do that in freenas 11.1-U5 it will break everything because they are using a different repository for the new iocage jails.
Here are my personal recommendations
1. Hold off on upgrades until moving to freenas 11.2
2. After upgrading to 11.2 rebuild all of your jails from scratch. (I know its a pain, but this will give you the new iocage backend)
3. When you rebuild your jails, go ahead and build each plugin in its own jail. (This is a little redundant, but it will benefit you with isolation between plugins. That way if anything breaks when you update it, you are only out one plugin instead of all of them.)
4. Take a snapshot of your jail datasets before upgrading anything. If stuff breaks then you can easily rollback the datasets.
5. At this point you should be able to run pkg update and pkg upgrade and everything should go smoothly.

I hope this is helpful!

Michael Hanna

Dabbler
Just want to say "THANKS" for this post. Was up and running in just an hour or so with these instructions. Previously had these programs running on a hyper-v vm but nice to be able to consolidate things in my freenas server where possible.

In case you are needing to rebuild your jails, or start over, here are some commands to export and import old configs.

I just created a config folder at the root of my media data set temporarily for this

To export
Code:
cp "/usr/local/sabnzbd/sabnzbd.ini" "/mnt/media/config/sabnzbd.ini"
cp -r "/usr/local/sonarr" "/mnt/media/config"
cp -r "/usr/local/radarr" "/mnt/media/config"

Make sure you start and stop each service before importing the configs, so all the proper directories are created.

Import
Code:
rm "/usr/local/sabnzbd/sabnzbd.ini
rm -rf /usr/local/sonarr
rm -rf /usr/local/radarr

cp "/mnt/media/config/sabnzbd.ini" "/usr/local/sabnzbd/sabnzbd.ini"
cp -r "/mnt/media/config/sonarr" "/usr/local"
cp -r "/mnt/media/config/radarr" "/usr/local"

repeat permissions commands
Code:
service sonarr onestop
chown -R newmedia:newmedia /usr/local/sonarr
service sonarr start

service radarr onestop
chown -R newmedia:newmedia /usr/local/radarr
service radarr start

service sabnzbd onestop
chown -R newmedia:newmedia /usr/local/sabnzbd
service sabnzbd start

I hope this is helpful!

fahadshery

Contributor
Just trawled through your posts. Are you going to make/update the same guide for 11.2 please? :D

From other users input this should work fine for 11.2. I have not upgraded to 11.2 myself.

I am planning on updating the guide for 11.2. I will likely get to it sometime in March.

thenerb

Dabbler
I followed your guide. Very helpful, though I seem to have a permissions issue. When the files download via Sabnzbd, I am not able to open them or copy them. I get the following error message in Windows:

"You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from FREENAS\newmedia to make changes to this file"

I am able to open any other files on my FreeNAS share, just not any that have been downloaded via the jailed Sabnzbd install. When I check permissions in Windows, I see that newmedia has Full Control permission to the root of the share, but doesn't seem to have permissions to any child folders. I do get the following error in Windows when trying to set the permissions:

"Remotely setting permissions on the folder at the root of a share removes all inherited permissions from the root folder and all subfolders. To set permissions without removing the inherited permissions, click No and either change the permissions on a child folder or make the changes while logged in locally."

If I try to set permissions on a child folder, I get the following error:

"An error occurred while applying security information to Z:\movies Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied."

Any advice on what the issue is and what I need to do to resolve? Thank you!

What it sounds like to me is that you have inherit set with the newmedia user in windows and not for the others. I would recommend against giving newmedia full control, because that means newmedia has the ability to modify permissions. When you add newmedia you want to have everything checked except full control.

What I would do at this point is remove the newmedia user in windows and start again. You shouldn't need to check the box "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object".

A real quick and easy fix to this would be to allow guest access for the share in freenas. The drawback is that anyone on your network would have access to the share then.

One more thing I can recommend is create a user in freenas with the same username and password as your windows user. Add wheel to it's auxiliary group. This should ensure that your windows user has full control as root and wheel are the default owners of a windows share.

I hope this is helpful. I know it's a pain, but when in doubt start over and try again.

thenerb

Dabbler
All windows users seem to have the same inheritance settings (not disabled). Also I have guest access enabled in freenas for the share. In Windows I am able to view, delete or any other action to any file on the share EXCEPT the newly created files by the newmedia user in Sabnzbd. Very strange. My Windows user seems to have full control, just not the files created by newmedia.

FYI, Plex also is unable to read these files, but can see any other files on the drive. Why would Plex be affected by my windows share settings since it is accessing the folders via the storage jail?

I've also tried removing the newmedia user and adding again. I get the same error messages when trying to remove or trying to add.

Thank you for any help.

thenerb

Dabbler
Additional follow-up:

I now see that my older folders in Windows show the user list to include: everyone, root, wheel. HOWEVER, the newly created folders from Sabnzbd have the users: everyone, wheel, newmedia. The new folders don't have root, but do have newmedia.

Not sure how to make the neccessary corrections. I've tried removing the share and creating a new one. The permissions seem to remain

Thanks for any help.

NASnewbi916

Dabbler
i am having an issue with
chown -R newmedia:newmedia /usr/local/sonarr

it returns that no directory exists

thenerb

Dabbler
Friendly bump. Any ideas to solve? I am at a loss to figure out this permissions issue. Thanks.