How to create FTP account for a user ! urgent !

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonders

Dabbler
Hello

Everyone this is my first time Im using FreeNAS, I really liked it , but the thing si that, I ahve created shares and users, they are working perfectly in windows through CIFS, I can login using any username and password and see its associated share, but I wanted to use FTP to connect to each users share, but I cant find any option to let me assign a share to a FTP account ?
how can I assign a user or share to the FTP account , and let everyuser connect using FTP as well as CIFS

Thanks

wonders

Dabbler
This is what I get in teh consol when I click OK on teh FTP setting page

Jun 21 17:13:50 absbk freenas[1595]: Executing: /usr/sbin/service ix-proftpd quietstart
Jun 22 00:13:50 absbk freenas: Creating /usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf
Jun 21 17:13:50 absbk freenas[1595]: Executing: /usr/sbin/service proftpd restart
Jun 22 00:13:50 absbk freenas: proftpd not running?
Jun 22 00:13:50 absbk freenas: Starting proftpd.
Jun 22 00:13:50 absbk freenas: - warning: unable to determine IP address of 'absbk.local'
Jun 22 00:13:50 absbk freenas: - error: no valid servers configured
Jun 22 00:13:50 absbk freenas: - Fatal: error processing configuration file '/usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf'
Jun 22 00:13:50 absbk root: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd: WARNING: failed to start proftpd
Jun 22 00:13:50 absbk freenas: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd: WARNING: failed to start proftpd

Al562

Dabbler
Hi Wonders,

The forum isn't dead, you keep answering your own topic so no one bothers to read it because it looks like it's been answered already. If you have additional information, you should edit your original post, not create a reply.

Code:
Jun 22 00:13:50 absbk freenas: - warning: unable to determine IP address of 'absbk.local'
Jun 22 00:13:50 absbk freenas: - error: no valid servers configured
Jun 22 00:13:50 absbk freenas: - Fatal: error processing configuration file '/usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf'
Jun 22 00:13:50 absbk root: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd: WARNING: failed to start proftpd
Jun 22 00:13:50 absbk freenas: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd: WARNING: failed to start proftpd 
These errors indicate a problem with your network/FTP configuration. You need to find the problem and fix it before the FTP service will run properly. Once you get the server properly running, then you can configure user access and permissions for the service. This must be done in concert with your local user/login settings.

When you have time you might want to read the forum rules and guidelines, you will get better and faster answers if you follow them.

Regards,
Al

wonders

Dabbler
Thanks for your reply

Sorry I thought I would get a reply soon.
Anyway I solved the problem, I factory reseted the software and also this time I didnt change the hostname , I dont know what the problem was but its working now !

Thanks anyway !

SoftDux-Rudi

Contributor
Thanks for your reply

Sorry I thought I would get a reply soon.
Anyway I solved the problem, I factory reseted the software and also this time I didnt change the hostname , I dont know what the problem was but its working now !

Thanks anyway !

This was the problem:

warning: unable to determine IP address of 'absbk.local'

The hostname you chose to use either doesn't exist, or your NAS didn't use the correct nameservers to resolve it properly. A quick fix could have been to add the hostname & corresponding IP address to /etc/hosts file

Status
Not open for further replies.