how to change default ip address 192.168.1.x to 10.10.x.x?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightperfect

Dabbler
hello all, just wondering how did ppl change the default ip address to 10.10.x.x?
been watching alot youtube guides on freenas, most of them has 10.10.x.x ip..
i dont have private VPN. i just have a linksys router 3700. will i able to do the same on my ip?
and how?

love to have a step by step guide please. thanks
sam

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
install FreeNAS
on screen of FreeNAS, follow directions to change IP
done

What is difficult or requires the need for a step by step guide? What does VPN have to do with ANYTHING?

Here is a little reading for you since you appear to be confused about basic networking:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

Lightperfect

Dabbler
sry still learning this and so many terms i don't really understand... :(
is there anyway i can do it through ssh or shell?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
sry still learning this and so many terms i don't really understand... :(
is there anyway i can do it through ssh or shell?
Why?

This is something you set up after your install. If you don't have an ip on your network subnet, you won't be able to access it from ssh.

Have you even installed freenas on a machine yet?
Why not save the questions until you have put some hands on the product and tried it out first.

Edit. As I reread this, I question WHY you want to change the ip away from something in your own subnet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anika200

Contributor
hello all, just wondering how did ppl change the default ip address to 10.10.x.x?
been watching alot youtube guides on freenas, most of them has 10.10.x.x ip..
i dont have private VPN. i just have a linksys router 3700. will i able to do the same on my ip?
and how?

love to have a step by step guide please. thanks
sam

The use of 10.x.x.x or 192.x.x.x is totally meaningless as far as how your nas functions. Those ip numbers are just a couple of sets of ip numbers that are set aside for private networks (your home/business). When you see a tutorial that has 10.x.x.x, just substitute your own network numbers 192.x.x.x or whatever.
If you really want to change to the 10.x range you can do it no problem, check the documentation of your router and see if you can figure it out. This is not really a FreeNAS issue but basic networking as someone already pointed out.

Lightperfect

Dabbler
Got it. Thanks for the fast reply!
Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.