How to build FreeNAS 9.10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinClift

Patron
As a data point, on a newly installed bare metal system with 2 Xeon E5645's (12 cores, 24 threads) and 32GB ram, the compile time for FreeNAS 10 just now was 2 hours and 24 mins.

The extra cpu's help, but not a lot. The MongoDB compile process seems to be single threaded, and thus takes nearly an hour regardless of core count.

A better approach would probably be to give more cpu's to the individual build jails, so they're not all 1 core each. No idea how to do that though.

V

Vittoria Dmowska

To update an existing FreeNAS 9.10 or 10 instance that you are using for development purposes:
  • make update
  • make ports
  • make reinstall-package package=freenas host=root@1.2.3.4
Where 1.2.3.4 is the IP address of your development platform. SSH will be used to push and install the new packages onto that host. (Note previous comment about setting the profile). PLEASE NOTE that this is an advanced development technique and may completely destroy your system if you don't know what you're doing.

cronsloth

Cadet
Quick status update, though there's not a "finished" result/conclusion yet.

Some graphs (from Zabbix server installed last night too), showing the stats which seem relevant. The missing stats chunk from about 10:30-11:45 was when the host filesystem the VM is on also ran out of space. ;) VMware paused the VM and popped up a warning which I didn't notice until I came back.

Tonight I'll try the whole run again, with maybe 100GB free disk (UFS), 11GB RAM, and 4 cpus. Hopefully that runs to completion ok. ;)

Would you happen to have any documentation or tuts on how you got your FreeNAS reporting into Zabbix to look so clean? I'm particularly interested in monitoring zpool io over time and network load among other typical things like cpu / arc / mem usage. I'm trying to find a way to track and see at what IO point I notice performance issues. In production.

Last edited by a moderator:

JustinClift

Patron
Sorry @cronsloth, I've since blown away the Zabbix box and don't really remember much about it. I do remember it was a bit fiddly to set up, but not terrible. The graphs shown started out as the default ones provided by the system, then adjusted from there to make sense for what I was doing.

No idea if Zabbix already comes with something for measuring ARC, IO, similar. Doing a search for "Zabbix" on the FreeBSD Forums website shows a **lot** of results. That tells me it's fairly likely FreeBSD (and thus FreeNAS) would probably be supported enough in Zabbix for things to work. Not sure if the best place to ask is there or the Zabbix people directly. Probably both, and see what happens. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.