How long did your ASROCK c2550d4i or c2750d4i last

Moppen

Dabbler
Understood. I'd probably have been the same when mine quit if I had not already seen the issue unfolding here. Glad you found the resources to help you.
Whatever will happen, I am glad that I read about this before my Board's turning off. If I hadn't maybe I got a heartattack or even a stroke ;-)

ASrock Rack answered my request:
Code:
Your Server board is using Intel   Avoton CPU which is also listed in Intel’s errata announcement. However, even though Intel is aware of the unexpected failure with their C2000 family line CPUs, but they didn’t guarantee that similar failure will affect all units in C2000 family line
We now provide 4-year manufacture warranty our C2750D4I and c2550D4I  boards  ; if you ever experienced a sudden No POST with your  board, please contact us. We can run a simple test  to find the telltale sign. If the issue is confirmed, we will help you replace the board under our (extended) warranty policy.

So, hopefully, if the bug will hit me, it's going to take a good turn in the end.

Pitfrr

Wizard
I got the exact same answer (word for word) from AsRock two days ago when I sent an email.
That's great: I can just sit and wait until something happens and it's not even sure it will... so I have hardware which I'm not sure I can rely on it or not!? Well... I feel really uncomfortable.

Moppen

Dabbler
I got the exact same answer (word for word) from AsRock two days ago when I sent an email.
That's great: I can just sit and wait until something happens and it's not even sure it will... so I have hardware which I'm not sure I can rely on it or not!? Well... I feel really uncomfortable.
I can't tell that I feel very "happy" about the situation, but at least there might be a solution if the worst case happens. I have a ticking timebomb in my cubby. And I need to go for the FreeNAS 11 train (I am on the 9.10 Train) because I want virtual machines back. But I am inconsistent if I could dare such a big update with the system right now.

dreamerns

Dabbler
Wow, that is a new one. Though it's still possible that it did have a C2750, since the boards are the same apart from the silkscreen.
You are right, I just checked BIOS and it says UEFI Version: C2750D4I P2.80. So I guess it is C2750 inside.

However, I have a different issue. The reason why I opened my server in first place is because one day Corrall (yes, I'm still on Corrall, was planing on moving to 11.1 during christmas break) reported that one of the disk is in degraded state. After 4-5 months of uptime, my initial thought is that one of the HD died. However, when I tried to access the system, I realized that it is behaving weird, so I rebooted. After reboot I was only able to see 2 out of 6 hard drives. Hooked it up on monitor and saw bunch of "AHCI reset: device not ready after 31000ms (tfd=000000080)" messages for different devices. At the end Corrall failed to boot because most likely USB died. Copied FreeNAS 11.1 to new usb and booted. During installation process it only recognized 2 drives (out of 6). I didn't continue with installation. Now, when I go to BIOS I can see that those 2 drives are on one SATA 3 controller, and others are on other (pictures attached). If I try to access the menu for that other controler, I get blank screen. I'm famous of having really bad luck with electronic equipment (and that's why I was using RaidZ2), but can it be possible that 4 drives just died on me in one day? Or is it maybe SATA controller? Does anyone knows how can I check that? I see that motherboard also has 6 sata II slots, is it safe to just move my drives to Sata 2 and try it out? I'm not sure how ZFS works. Thanks
sata-lowres.jpg empty-advanced-screes-lowres.jpg

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'd be more likely to blame the Marvell SATA controller.

You are right, I just checked BIOS and it says UEFI Version: C2750D4I P2.80. So I guess it is C2750 inside.
Don't trust that, check how many cores the OS sees.

dreamerns

Dabbler
I'd be more likely to blame the Marvell SATA controller.

Don't trust that, check how many cores the OS sees.

Thanks, I'll try that as soon as I'm able to boot OS :smile: Do you know if it is safe for me to move disks to another controller (SATA 2) and try to boot FreeNAS 11 and import volume ? I don''t really know how ZFS Raid works, do disks need to be in same order on same controller as they were when it volume was created?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Do you know if it is safe for me to move disks to another controller (SATA 2) and try to boot FreeNAS 11 and import volume ? I don''t really know how ZFS Raid works, do disks need to be in same order on same controller as they were when it volume was created?
I get the feeling I say this at least three times a week.

Literally no remotely-usable RAID solution - be it hardware RAID controllers from LSI or Adaptec or whatever, ZFS, GEOM, Intel FakeRAID or anything else - gives the slightest bit of a damn about which physical port is being used. Since ZFS, like most software options, is controller-agnostic, it doesn't give a damn about how the drive is attached. You could move it to a SATA-USB bridge. You could use a SATA/PATA adapter. You could move it from a SATA to an SAS controller. You could mount it over iSCSI through IP over carrier pigeon* and ZFS wouldn't care.

* This is not strictly true. IP over Carrier Pigeon has unacceptably high latency.

dreamerns

Dabbler
I get the feeling I say this at least three times a week.

Literally no remotely-usable RAID solution - be it hardware RAID controllers from LSI or Adaptec or whatever, ZFS, GEOM, Intel FakeRAID or anything else - gives the slightest bit of a damn about which physical port is being used. Since ZFS, like most software options, is controller-agnostic, it doesn't give a damn about how the drive is attached. You could move it to a SATA-USB bridge. You could use a SATA/PATA adapter. You could move it from a SATA to an SAS controller. You could mount it over iSCSI through IP over carrier pigeon* and ZFS wouldn't care.

* This is not strictly true. IP over Carrier Pigeon has unacceptably high latency.

Well then, that's a good news. I'll try it out tonight :smile: Thanks so much for your help, I'll keep posted how it goes.

Pitfrr

Wizard
@dreamerns: for your 6 drives you should use the 6 Intel SATA ports on the boards (SATA_0 to SATA_5, connectors 32 to 27 in page 6 of the manual).

I'm using 8 drives, 6 are connected to the Intel SATA controller, one is on the Marvel 9172 (i.e. SATA3_M0 or SATA3_M1 port) and an other one is on the Marvel 9230 (i.e. one of the SATAIII_M0 to SATAIII_M3).
I know these Marvel controllers are not very reliable and I'm doing so to test their reliability (it's on my test server), so far, so good.... ;-)
And in the BIOS, when I go on the SATAIII_M0_M1_M2_M3 page to have the details, the page is blank as well, surprisingly. But in FreeNAS, all the drives are accounted for so I didn't look further.

lanlubber

Dabbler
I had my c2550 board replaced under RMA earlier this year. Now I'm getting hardware freezes on the new board. I can still access IPMI when it happens, however I have to unplug the power since the power button does not respond. I'm running memtest on it now. Anyone else have this issue?

dreamerns

Dabbler
@dreamerns: for your 6 drives you should use the 6 Intel SATA ports on the boards (SATA_0 to SATA_5, connectors 32 to 27 in page 6 of the manual).

I'm using 8 drives, 6 are connected to the Intel SATA controller, one is on the Marvel 9172 (i.e. SATA3_M0 or SATA3_M1 port) and an other one is on the Marvel 9230 (i.e. one of the SATAIII_M0 to SATAIII_M3).
I know these Marvel controllers are not very reliable and I'm doing so to test their reliability (it's on my test server), so far, so good.... ;-)
And in the BIOS, when I go on the SATAIII_M0_M1_M2_M3 page to have the details, the page is blank as well, surprisingly. But in FreeNAS, all the drives are accounted for so I didn't look further.

Thanks for clarifying :smile: I now remember that SATAIII page was blank first time when I was setting up my board, but in this case it seems that my Marvel 9230 is dead. I switched my drives to SATA_0 to SATA_5 and they are now visible both by BIOS and FreeNAS (except one that is probably dead). I can do any more testing because my usb with Corrall has died too. So in one shot, Marvel 9230, USB with Corrall and 1 HD died :-( I'll install FreeNAS 11 during weekend and see how it goes. Qucik question. You said that I should use SATA_0 to SATA_5. The only reason I used Marvel is because it is SATA3. Shouldn't that be 2x faster? Do we have any benefits of that transfer speed with WD Red, or is it more for SSDs ? Thanks

Pitfrr

Wizard
Whatever SATA port you're using (SATA 2 or 3) you might not notice the difference since you will be limited by your network (or if you have a 10Gbps network.....;-O).

dreamerns

Dabbler
Whatever SATA port you're using (SATA 2 or 3) you might not notice the difference since you will be limited by your network (or if you have a 10Gbps network.....;-O).
That's true :smile: I was more thinking about when data needs to be processed and etc (plex transcoding etc). On home server probably there isn't much difference.

Pitfrr

Wizard
For "internal" data processing, well I don't think you'll feel the difference.
I don't remember the performances I get on a scrub but I'm happy with if for my usage (i.e. home server).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No HDD is bottleneced by SATA 3Gb/s. Even then, Intel SATA 3Gb/s might actually be faster than Marvell SATA 6Gb/s.

Well then, after 3 years and 3 months (some kind of record according to this thread) :) my c2550d4i wouldn't post. Actually got a full refund for my August 2014 purchase from my supplier, so now I have ordered a Supermicro X10SL7-F as replacement, are looking at a used CPU now, and also plan on reusing my 2x 8GB ECC memory.

My most important pool consists of 6x WD RED 2TB, in a RAID-Z2 setup and when I have FreeNAS up & running I plan to attach them to the SAS2 ports of my new Supermicro.
Does anyone see any problems with this, the data should be OK if the sun is in the right position in the sky, and an import of the zpool would be no problem - or?

Kind regards, Arne

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks! :smile:
I can probably get the i3 CPU stated in my footer very cheap used, that should work OK, or would a (much more expensive) Xeon processor give me any noticeable benefits?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Depends on what you're doing. I recommend opening a new thread and explaining what you want to do.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
FWIW, I took pictures as best as I could of the two motherboards.

Little looks different other than the serial number and firmware stickers. I presume that the revised circuitry is hidden under the heat sink of the CPU. I wasn't going to touch that.