How long did your ASROCK c2550d4i or c2750d4i last

slidvendetta

Cadet
I was in constant contact with iXsystems via phone and email. Taking notes and getting contact information of who I was speaking with. Politely and calmly explaining my dissatisfaction of how they handled the faulty motherboard issue. It had to go up the chain to higher positions. They were really nice about it and returned my calls and emails every step of the way. My main point to them was that they relied on forum posts to announce the problem but never once sent an email out to the customers who were affected by this, especially since they had my contact info and the announcement was made nearly a year after I bought it. I just received the replacement and iXsystems were very supportive and offered me assistance if I ran into any problems with the replacement. Luckily the supplied guide was very good and all is well. I hope you this information is helpful. Good luck.

jrk

Cadet
I was in constant contact with iXsystems via phone and email. Taking notes and getting contact information of who I was speaking with. Politely and calmly explaining my dissatisfaction of how they handled the faulty motherboard issue. It had to go up the chain to higher positions. They were really nice about it and returned my calls and emails every step of the way. My main point to them was that they relied on forum posts to announce the problem but never once sent an email out to the customers who were affected by this, especially since they had my contact info and the announcement was made nearly a year after I bought it. I just received the replacement and iXsystems were very supportive and offered me assistance if I ran into any problems with the replacement. Luckily the supplied guide was very good and all is well. I hope you this information is helpful. Good luck.
What kind of replacement board did they send you?

BigMike

Dabbler
did you not contact asrock rack to see if they will replace it for you?
I bought it in 2016 from Newegg as an "open box", so the warranty was only good for 90 days, so Asrock says they won't replace it.

I'd like to think the memory might live on for some time yet!

CraigD

Patron
I bought it in 2016 from Newegg as an "open box", so the warranty was only good for 90 days, so Asrock says they won't replace it.

I'd like to think the memory might live on for some time yet!
Asrock stated they would replace them even if outside of warranty, I only do business with people I trust...

rosabox

Explorer
I'm experiencing strange problems with my ASROCK C2550D4i.
First I got error messages about stalled communication with the UPS on the serial port and this error messages:
ipmi0: KCS: Reply address mismatch
ipmi0: KCS error: 5f
A reboot fixed it for a couple of days, the next reboot only for couple of hours, the the port was "dead", also in the log I saw something about /dev/ipmi0 - no such device or so.
I connected the UPS on a USB to serial adapter and it (the UPS) was working fine.
And now (2 weeks later) again stalled communication with the UPS and the USB to serial adapter is not recognized,
I disconnected the adapter but there is another problem, the fans stay on low (400) rpm.
Are these symptoms of the C2000 bug?
The system boots (yet).
What should I do?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Are these symptoms of the C2000 bug?
No. The UPS is probably just a dodgy RS-232 adapter.

The other symptoms suggest that the BMC is misbehaving. Is the IPMI firmware up to date? There was a bug that would wear out the BMC flash and cause it to go crazy and/or panic when its storage stops working properly. If you're affected, you'd need to replace the flash, which probably means shipping the board to ASRock.

rosabox

Explorer
I tested the adapter on a Windows PC, it is recognized and seems to be OK, didn't try to connect something to it.
And what about the dead serial port?
Today I'll do some more testing (if it boots), like connecting an USB flash drive and an USB keyboard, mouse ...
I also noticed there are no sensor data in the BIOS (where you set the fan speeds).
I was watching the events around this board closely, so when the watchdog bug was discovered I disabled watchdog.
And I flashed the fixed firmware immediately after it was available.
I'm on the latest firmware versions: BIOS 2.50, BMC 00.35.00

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The serial port is handled by the BMC, so that's a BMC problem. It might not be the flash wearing out (or it might be, some time after the fix), but everything does point to the BMC. I'm not sure it's user-fixable unless it goes away with a firmware update, if you can even get it to take firmware.

rosabox

Explorer
Firmware update, I'm guessing you mean the BMC firmware. I'll give it a shot.

Then maybe I could try to de solder the flash chip and replace it, when the board definitively dies ...

And to be on topic mine lasted without a month 4 years.

TooMuchData

Contributor

colmconn

Contributor
Looks like I've had yet another one of these die on me. I've not even had it for 18 months.

Pitfrr

Wizard
Looks like my C2750D4l died on me today! ;-(
Bought in 2015, I rapidly updated the BIOS and BMC firmware to correct the watchdog bug.
But now it seems the C2000 bug hit it: after a hard reset, no POST or boot but BMC is accessible.
I've contacted AsRock, let's see....

TooMuchData

Contributor
Bought my first C2750D4I in 2014. Now on my fourth board. ASRock replaced them all with minimal hassle, but some delay. The replacement boards now have all the right firmware to prevent the problem. If it dies again I will probably look for a used SuperMicro board to fit my Node 304.

Pitfrr

Wizard
Got feedback from AsRock.... well... no RMA! ;-(

Out of warranty in 2019.
It's really frustrating since I took every precaution not to get caught by the watchdog bug... but it was only a question of time until it got the C2000 bug as I understand it. So actually I shouldn't have tried to avoid the watchdog bug, maybe my board would have died earlier and got approved for RMA! :-O
A pity... it was a nice board!

TooMuchData

Contributor
Will you get another mini-itx board?