SOLVED How do you set up the new Docker VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

SavageAUS

Patron
Let's say we spin up the rancher server and install plex as a container how do we add our FreeNAS datasets into docker for movies, tv and configs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Running Plex in a VM is pure masochism.

add our FreeNAS datasets into docker
You don't. They're only accessible through the network.

SavageAUS

Patron

You don't. They're only accessible through the network.
Was just an example and a question. Thanks for info.

I'll stick with standard plugins until I can figure out how to add datasets to bhyve jails.

danb35

Hall of Famer
until I can figure out how to add datasets to bhyve jails.
First, bhyve doesn't do jails, it does VMs. Second, as @Ericloewe said, the only way to do that is to share them over the network in FreeNAS, and mount the network shares in your VMs.

chris crude

Patron

I must like the punishment as i use a Win10 VM to run Plex. I have lots of custom titles and didn't trust the process of moving Plex metadata from windows to Linux or FreeNAS.

Sorry about the threadjack everyone, please continue so i can learn more about the new docker setup.

SavageAUS

Patron
First, bhyve doesn't do jails, it does VMs. Second, as @Ericloewe said, the only way to do that is to share them over the network in FreeNAS, and mount the network shares in your VMs.
My bad, I meant iocage.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Oh, iocage is a completely different matter. The new GUI should have the option, much like the old one did for Docker.

C0MM4ND3R

Cadet
I followed ever single step in the new documentation, but I'm still getting the
Error: failed to download the image!
message when I first try to start it.
Is there anything that can cause this, but is not mentioned in the article?
I'm running on 11.1 stable release.

Last edited by a moderator:

SavageAUS

Patron
I followed ever single step in the new documentation, but im still getting the
Error: failed to download the image!
message when i first try to start it.
Is there anything that can cause this, but is not mentioned in the article?
Im running on 11.1 stable elease.
In your .bhyve_containers hidden folder create a folder called iso_files then the image will download.

Xelas

Explorer

Why do you think so? Is it the overhead of spinning up a VM? The advantage is that I can passthrough a graphics card to Plex to offload transcodes, which I believe you can't do in a docker container or a jail. AFAIK, this works for Linux VMs as well (although most of the online chatter is about doing this with Windows VMs).

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
The advantage is that I can passthrough a graphics card to Plex to offload transcodes, which I believe you can't do in a docker container or a jail.
...and you can't do in a VM on FreeNAS either.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Why do you think so? Is it the overhead of spinning up a VM? The advantage is that I can passthrough a graphics card to Plex to offload transcodes, which I believe you can't do in a docker container or a jail. AFAIK, this works for Linux VMs as well (although most of the online chatter is about doing this with Windows VMs).
Plex accesses storage a lot and there is no fast option for exposing storage to a VM. The CPU overhead is going to be small, it's the constant back-and-forth across security levels that's going to kill performance.

Xelas

Explorer
Plex accesses storage a lot and there is no fast option for exposing storage to a VM. The CPU overhead is going to be small, it's the constant back-and-forth across security levels that's going to kill performance.
Ah, I can confirm that that is the case if you host the Plex metadata on the pool. Plex especially generates boatloads of IO for it's metadata cache. On my mid-range library (~250 movies, ~2500 episodes of various shows) the thing is 18GB and has 161,188 files! I used to host the thing on my pool, and it soaked up ~70GB of disk space due to the overhead with so may small files.
After 2-3 iterations of moving ESXi Datastores around and trying out a SLOG device, I ended up tossing an old SSD I'd forgotten about (an OEM Liteon 256GB drive that came with a laptop) into my server and connecting it as a physical datastore (as opposed to an NFS share or iSCSI extent) dedicated to the Windows VM that hosts Plex, Sonarr, and Sab, and making all of these apps use it for their metadata/cache/temp drives. Plex now starts up almost instantly, the Plex metadata isn't soaking up room in my ARC, which can now focus on serving me my files, and performance has been GREAT. Turning on Drive Compression in the Windows VM has also visibly helped - I have CPU cycles to spare to compensate for IO inefficiencies than ESXi imposes. This setup has been fabulous for the 1+ year I've set it up this way, so I'll probably continue to use SSDs for VMs outside of FreeNAS to avoid most of the IO overhead, and use FreeNAS just for shares. For a small setup on a budget, this is simpler and more cost effective, IMHO, than trying to make ZFS perform well enough to host VMs well ($$$ RAM upgrades, SLOG drives, etc) , especially those that do a lot of IO. 256MB/512MB SSDs are peanuts nowadays, and many tech folks have extras from laptop upgrades anyway that are going to waste.
It also keeps pool fragmentation down - all the IO that the VMs are generating is NOT being done to the pool, but to an external SSD, so it keeps the pool healthier.

Xelas

Explorer
...and you can't do in a VM on FreeNAS either.
I'm using ESXi. FreeNAS is one of the VMs in ESXi, with a dedicated LSI/Avago controller on pass-through. I've tested disaster scenarios thoroughly (albeit the last time was back in 9.0 days) where I "restored" FreeNAS configurations to a bare-metal install without ESXi, in case I need to dump ESXi or it blows up somehow, and I got things back almost without hiccups - IIRC, I only needed to tweak the network config to work with the "new", non-virtualized, NIC and that was it.

Backups of VMs are a cinch to do manually with the right tools (or cron scripts right in the ESXi host, which I haven't had time to set up) - I periodically back up the VM drives to FreeNAS via NFS, and I have Crashplan backing the whole thing up to the cloud as well.

alexisdr

Cadet
In your .bhyve_containers hidden folder create a folder called iso_files then the image will download.

Hello, I have the same problem but i have de iso_files folder. What shoul I do?

Captura.PNG

This is the VM Config
Captura2.PNG

And this is the RAW device configuration
Captura3.PNG

I still geting : "Error: failed to download the image!" when I start the machine.
Captura4.PNG

Thanks for the help!!

-fun-

Contributor
Hello, I have the same problem but i have de iso_files folder. What shoul I do?

I have the same problem here. Folder exists, messages says "Error: failed to download the image!".

What should I do??

wblock

Documentation Engineer
If you created the folder, delete it and let the system create it. None of this is supposed to be manual.

-fun-

Contributor
Thanks for replying. I did not create this folder manually. Just checked that it's there and it was. I guess the problem must be anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.