SOLVED How do you set up the new Docker VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

tofagerl

Contributor
Is there a semi-official way to use Rancher's storage drivers to access the NAS storage? I know there was talk of a 9p driver, but did the server end of that ever make it into FreeNAS?
I tried SMB last time (Hi, Corral!), and that never worked, so I moved to jails, which worked fine for a while, but having 10-12 different jails for tiny tiny services was just too much overhead considering I originally made my setup with Dockerfiles, so I moved it to a second server - that server is dying fast, so I need to move it back...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I know there was talk of a 9p driver, but did the server end of that ever make it into FreeNAS?
If you count Corral. And it corrupted data.

but having 10-12 different jails for tiny tiny services was just too much overhead
  1. Jails have close to zero overhead. Docker on FreeBSD with Linux executables will have significant performance penalties for the foreseeable future, especially after the mitigation for meltdown is applied.
  2. You don't need a jail for each thing. You can have several related (or not) things running in one jail.

tofagerl

Contributor
If you count Corral. And it corrupted data.

1. Jails have close to zero overhead. Docker on FreeBSD with Linux executables will have significant performance penalties for the foreseeable future, especially after the mitigation for meltdown is applied.
  2. You don't need a jail for each thing. You can have several related (or not) things running in one jail.
You're not using overhead the same way I am. I am talking about documentation, configuration and just "which effing IP is this on again?". This works much better on Docker now.

ShinobiX9X

Contributor
Hello, for me it downloaded the img after i press start jail. then top of page shows "vm started" but the status of vm stays "stopped" where could i find what is wrong?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
We don't know what hardware you are using. That issue can happen if your hardware does not support VMs, like running FreeNAS inside a VM. It can also happen due to a bug, where editing the VM network device and clicking Save without making any changes will cure it. This is either already cured in the latest release, or will be in the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.