How do you backup your FreeNAS?

mosh

Explorer
Hi,
I'd like to backup my FreeNAS volume. and i was wondering what would be the best practice
I'd love to hear your stories and recommendations

Thanks,
- Moshe

Pitfrr

Wizard
Hello,

I use a second FreeNAS server (on the same site) to backup the main one! :)
And I use snapshots on the main one and replication to the backup server. It works well (maybe a bit slow but I don't mind: 300Mbit/s on a Gbit network).
I also use an external HDD (connected to a client) to do manual backups every 6 months or so. Only critical data then and stored off site once done.

rcync to Synology NAS then Hyperbackup to an external device. Hopefully 11.3 will have notifications on success/failures

Adrian

Contributor
ZFS replication to local (full) and remote via VPN (partial) FreeNAS systems. Expensive.

rsync backups to a rotating set of ZFS pools in USB 3.0 enclosures. Arwen's comprehensive replication based script at https://www.ixsystems.com/community/resources/how-to-backup-to-local-disks.26/ may help. esata is preferred, but USB 3 seems fine for me. I use Startech enclosures and a Startech USB 3 card.

Monthly and on change GUI manual backups of the configuration.

1kokies

Contributor
Mmmm.......FreeNAS IS my back up, first line of data is at a Windows machines sync to a Synology and then rsync to a FreeNAS. Couple of months once i plug in 1-2 external drives to the Windows machines for File History. Data is about 1.5TB.

Others stored at FreeNAS i actually don't back it up ie movies, rip media (which i copy to an archive) and data stores(working on a back up) which is about 20TB

blueether

Patron
at the moment I back up my main freenas to both the old (non-server grade hardware) and another server, both on site. There is also a weekly backup to the wife's 360 account for all the important stuff like the photos of the kids and docs. I plan to move one of the servers off site to my brothers for his family to use and then back up my freenas to his and vice versa.

mcarrara

Cadet
I basically have a similar or the same question. I am using FreeNAS as my primary storage device. I have about 2Tb used for storage and another 1tb for virtual servers. My goal is to have a total offsite, cloud-based backup of everything. I am assuming I will use AWS. The documentation is a bit too cookbook like, I would like some high-level discussion of why and how. Any ideas of sources of information I can use?

Mark

Heracles

Wizard
Hi,

I use 2 other FreeNAS for a complete backup solution as explained in my signature... ZFS sync for both of them, one online and the other when I power it on every now and then for a quick sync before turning it off right after sync is done.

mcarrara

Cadet
I was looking for an off-site solution. If there is a catastrophic problem, say a fire, I will need to rebuild our storage.

Mark

Adrian

Contributor
I forgot to mention that I also backup the most important of my SMB shares to AWS S3 using s3browser on Windows.

When I loose my remote site I will contemplate trading its costs (VDSL2 line) for rsync.net's ZFS send capable service - 4c per GB per month, 2 TB minimum (i.e a minimum of $80 a month). https://www.rsync.net/products/zfsintro.html