how do I setup a SNMP ups on FreeNas?

nicko3.0i

Dabbler
Hello everyone

got FreeNAS-11.3-U2 fresh installed on a HP Proliant ML310 gen8, quad core Xeon, 32GB ECC ram, everything seems to work fine.
I have ad Eaton 5P 850 UPS with network card, but I can't figure out how to setup it into FreeNas.
I just managed to get temporary ups protection by connecting it with the USB cable.

My ups ip address is 192.168.0.230 (like 230 volt, hihi), but I can't set it up properly.

Apr 13 15:01:37 freenas upsmon[17119]: UPS [Eaton_5P_850@localhost:161]: connect failed: Connection failure: Connection refused

I am missing something... In my mind it should connect to 192.168.0.230, not to localhost.
Or are there config files that need to be manually edited for this to work?

Any help appreciated, documentation is very vague on that subject, and mainly refers to version 9 of FreeNas

The model of UPS management card has to be one that is supported by "nut". I have seen other people in the forum reference Eaton UPS's, but I don't recall if they were doing UPS or network. I use APC over the network, and it works great. I did have to select the correct driver.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I use APC over the network, and it works great.
My APC (with the 9631 card) worked perfectly under the various 11.2 and previous releases I tried, but isn't working with 11.3-U1--I'm seeing the same thing as OP.

I haven't taken the plunge into 11.3 yet at home. I think I am glad I did not as I tried to do 11.3 on a Cisco M3 series server for a customer, and I couldn't get it to work right. 11.3 on a Cisco M5 was no problem. Perhaps it is a different release of nut that wants a different driver? I am just guessing there.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The thing is, there aren't really that many drivers--and over the network, you're pretty well stuck with the snmp-ups one (even though there are dozens of listings in the dropdown menu using that driver). In 11.2-Un, selecting that and entering the IP address was all I needed to do. In 11.3, that doesn't work (I see the same error as OP), and adding the appropriate parameters (see man snmp-ups for more detail) for a SNMPv3 user doesn't change it. I've put in a bug with an attached debug file (so not sure how useful it will be, but I linked back to this thread): https://jira.ixsystems.com/projects/NAS/issues/NAS-105783

nicko3.0i

Dabbler
SOLVED!
The UPS network card had SNMP turned on, but for unknown reason (I got a used one, and I didn't bother.... mea culpa!) but it was V3!
Since it's used in LAN, I enabled SNMP V1, and FreeNas instantly recognized the ups using the normal procedure! :)

KevDog

Patron
The thing is, there aren't really that many drivers--and over the network, you're pretty well stuck with the snmp-ups one (even though there are dozens of listings in the dropdown menu using that driver). In 11.2-Un, selecting that and entering the IP address was all I needed to do. In 11.3, that doesn't work (I see the same error as OP), and adding the appropriate parameters (see man snmp-ups for more detail) for a SNMPv3 user doesn't change it. I've put in a bug with an attached debug file (so not sure how useful it will be, but I linked back to this thread): https://jira.ixsystems.com/projects/NAS/issues/NAS-105783

@danb35 FWIW I've noticed by nut drivers seem broken on 11.3 as well. I didn't change anything when upgrading from 11.2-11.3.

waqarahmed

iXsystems
iXsystems
@KevDog if you think something is broken, please do create a ticket at jira and kindly make sure to attach a debug ( System -> Advanced -> Save Debug ). Thank you