How do I move my USB image to another USB drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Giguere

Cadet
I (stupidly) didn't think a head far enough when setting up FreeNAS. I borrowed a USB drive from a friend who wants it back. How, if possible, can I move/replicate the image/data from the current USB drive to a new USB drive? I've been searching all day and haven't found any documentation on the subject...

warri

Guru
On linux you can probably just use dd.

If you want it easier: Backup your current configuration through the Web GUI, install FreeNAS on your USB stick, restore the configuration through the Web GUI. Done.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Yeah that's what I would do. Use the GUI to "back up the configuration" like warri says, install FreeNAS on your new USB drive, the go back into the GUI and upload that configuration to the virgin box. You might need to export your pool first.

Also, you could just get "clonezilla", and clone the USB thumb drive.

Or you could use dd.

All good ideas.

Nick Giguere

Cadet
Actually ... can't find documentation on backing up config through the GUI ... would you all please point me in the right direction?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
dd won't work. You're better off reinstalling FreeNAS and doing a config upload.

One of my first posts was "why does dd not work?" and nobody really knows why it doesn't work out well. I tried everything to "backup" my FreeNAS install, but the FAQ (and the mods) made it clear it was an exercise in futility.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It might also be a lot easier to simply KEEP the drive and get a new friend.

ROFL! That is hilarious!

Abigail111

Cadet
HI there
You said that you want to move/replicate the image/data from the current USB drive to a new USB drive.Are your sure that you can not copy and paste the image directly?
If not ,you can try to add one of the image program to help you out.They are powerful enough.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You just replied to a thread from 2 months ago....
/shame

Status
Not open for further replies.