how do i install plex media server WITHOUT INSTALLING all the garbage plexpass info

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
For the home screen, you may need to reset it to defaults. Otherwise, you can populate it yourself from the Recommended tabs of each pinned library, and selecting the + at the left of each category group.

1593653188266.png

Steve Davis

Dabbler
For the home screen, you may need to reset it to defaults. Otherwise, you can populate it yourself from the Recommended tabs of each pinned library, and selecting the + at the left of each category group.

View attachment 39760
I can deal with no content on home screen, just as long as I have access to my libraries without all the streaming "ads" like news/weather/ movie clips/etc. I guess I will have to deal with for now, considering I cant find anything else to replace plex with.
Samuel you have been a wonderful help with this.

Steve Davis

Dabbler
You're not restricted to the plugin. You could try @danb35's Plex install script to install inside a generic iocage jail.

I am attempting to install Plex using Danb35 install script;
I follow the installation instructions exactly as directed.
1. says to create configuration file called "plex-config" (done).

2. change to convenient directory on freenas server, ("/mnt/FreeNAS3/DataFiles") - done.

and download this script using:
git clone https://github.com/danb35/freenas-iocage-plex

everytime I try to download the file specified by Danb35 using the git clone command I get error:

Cloning into 'freenas-iocage-plex' ...
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/danb35/freenas-iocage-plex/' : Could not resolve host: github.com

I can directly go to github.com website in my browser ( https://github.com/danb35/freenas-iocage-plex )
so I know there is nothing wrong with my internet access.

What am I missing?

Attachments

• Screenshot (22).png
    Screenshot (22).png
    961.3 KB · Views: 279
  • Screenshot (19).png
    Screenshot (19).png
    193.4 KB · Views: 262
  • Screenshot (20).png
    Screenshot (20).png
    195.8 KB · Views: 265

danb35

Hall of Famer
What am I missing?
Network settings on your FreeNAS box. Make sure you have a DNS server (use 1.1.1.1 if you don't have another one in particular to use) and default gateway set. And really, don't use the shell from the web GUI--ssh in instead.

Steve Davis

Dabbler
Network settings on your FreeNAS box. Make sure you have a DNS server (use 1.1.1.1 if you don't have another one in particular to use) and default gateway set. And really, don't use the shell from the web GUI--ssh in instead.

the network info worked, I logged in via ssh and was able to download files.
root user password is set and nameservers are set
NameServer 1: 192.168.25.1
NameServer 2: 1.1.1.1

when I run the "plex-jail.sh" program I get
zsh: permission denied: ./plex-jail.sh

ls command shows all files are accounted for in current directory
"plex-jail.sh"
"plex-config"

Attachments

• Screenshot (28).png
    Screenshot (28).png
    172.3 KB · Views: 255
  • Screenshot (32).png
    Screenshot (32).png
    100.1 KB · Views: 268
  • Screenshot (30).png
    Screenshot (30).png
    138.4 KB · Views: 261

Samuel Tai

Try sh plex-jail.sh. Since you're sharing this folder out via SMB, you may also need to set acl allow execute always = true in the share's Auxiliary parameters.

Yorick

Wizard
Or, alternatively, make life a little easier and keep data in data stores, and executables in ~. “Convenient location” may just be ~, and after the git clone, ~/freenas-plex-iocage.

Steve Davis

Dabbler
Try sh plex-jail.sh. Since you're sharing this folder out via SMB, you may also need to set acl allow execute always = true in the share's Auxiliary parameters.

I set the share Auxiliary parameters to "acl execute always to = true"
command and run "sh plex-jail.sh"

now every time i run "sh plex-jail.sh" command i get

please provide a valid ip: Only decimial digits permitted in '40\r' in '192.168.25.40\r
Failed to create jail

my "plex-config" file is

JAIL_IP="192.168.25.40"
DEFAULT_GW="192.168.25.1"
POOL_PATH="/mnt/FreeNAS3/Media1"

Attachments

• Screenshot (36).png
    Screenshot (36).png
    187.7 KB · Views: 254
  • Screenshot (37).png
    Screenshot (37).png
    197.3 KB · Views: 255

Samuel Tai

Steve Davis

Dabbler
Ah, you created the plex-config in Notepad, and thus it has the Windows line endings of \r\n. Unix (and FreeNAS in particular) expects line endings of just \n. Try this from https://askubuntu.com/questions/803162/how-to-change-windows-line-ending-to-unix-version to convert the line ending to Unix format:

sed -I 's/\r$//' plex-config.
I created a new config file and replaced the old one, "sh" command is running but it seems to be taking forever
its stuck at " creating jail pms. This may take a minute, Please be patient."

how long is this supposed to take?

Attachments

• Screenshot (38).png
    Screenshot (38).png
    137 KB · Views: 279

Samuel Tai

Did you pass the script the wrong value of POOL_PATH? That looks like your server media path, which in the script is PLEX_MEDIA_PATH. According to the script notes, the POOL_PATH is the root of the pool which iocage uses. In your case, I think that's /mnt/FreeNAS3.

Last edited:

Steve Davis

Dabbler

Attachments

• Screenshot (40).png
    Screenshot (40).png
    202.4 KB · Views: 251
  • Screenshot (41).png
    Screenshot (41).png
    193.9 KB · Views: 283

Steve Davis

Dabbler
after all of the headaches I finally got it to work.
biggest problem was getting "plex-config" file saved in a unix format, I finally found the program Notepad++ it let me save my configuration file as UNIX LF format.

then plex server installed properly.
(my library files are still updating)

Notepad++

Attachments

• Screenshot (50).png
    Screenshot (50).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 249
  • Screenshot (46).png
    Screenshot (46).png
    243.6 KB · Views: 267
  • Screenshot (47).png
    Screenshot (47).png
    218.1 KB · Views: 260
  • Screenshot (48).png
    Screenshot (48).png
    221.3 KB · Views: 243
  • Screenshot (49).png
    Screenshot (49).png
    2 MB · Views: 251

Samuel Tai

I tried these commands and none of them work

Glad you latched upon Notepad++. It's pretty good. Note, the specific command I recommended was sed with capital -I. You, in your frustration, were using lowercase -i.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Or, really, just use one of the simple text editors that ship with FreeNAS (ee or nano) and create the config file on the system itself. I don't think it's "wrong", exactly, to put the script in a shared dataset, but it's definitely not where I'd intended it to be placed.

Steve Davis

Dabbler
Glad you latched upon Notepad++. It's pretty good. Note, the specific command I recommended was sed with capital -I. You, in your frustration, were using lowercase -i.

Samuel

I didn't matter if I used upper or lower case "i"

I got same error every time.

Only thing that fixed it was using Notepad++

BTW: thanks for suggestion about POOL paths, I completely mis read that in config instructions.

Danb, I use the share for better and easier access to upload and backup media files
All files are stored on FREENAS server.

Thank you very much for the script install for Plex, it was just what I was looking for.

Daisuke

Contributor
the version of plugin in freenas 11.3 is forcing me to install the plex media server with plexpass
I have no idea what do you mean by having the plex media server with plexpass installed. When I installed Plex for first time two months ago on 11.3, I did not have a plexpass and the plugin worked perfect with all my media.

Edit: I just saw your screenshots, here are my mount points, second is to use the transcoder files into ramdisk:

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 12.25.34 AM.png

Last edited:

Fredda

Guru
I have no idea what do you mean by having the plex media server with plexpass installed
There are currently 2 different Plex Plugins available:
  1. Plex Media Server: Media center software to easily manage and stream digital media.
  2. Plex Media Server (Beta): Media center software to easily manage and stream digital media. (Requires Plex Pass Subscription)

elorimer

Contributor
There are currently 2 different Plex Plugins available:
  1. Plex Media Server: Media center software to easily manage and stream digital media.
  2. Plex Media Server (Beta): Media center software to easily manage and stream digital media. (Requires Plex Pass Subscription)
Plex has two different release paths. The first one, plex media server, updates with the latest stable release. The second one plex media server (beta), updates with the latest beta release. After a time the features in the beta move to the stable release. Otherwise they are the same. You need plex pass to be able to access the latest beta release, but you do not need plex pass to run plex media server, nor do you need the beta version to use plex pass: that is determined when you log the server into plex.tv.

If I recall correctly the danb35 script asks you which release path you want to be on.

Yorick

Wizard
If I recall correctly the danb35 script asks you which release path you want to be on.

For some value of “ask”. There is a USE_BETA variable that can be set in the config file. If that’s left out, it will install the release version.