how do i install plex media server WITHOUT INSTALLING all the garbage plexpass info

Steve Davis

Dabbler
this might be a little long and may be asked before, this is my first post here so please forgive me .
I had FreeNAS 11.2 installed with a standard version of plex media server it did not have plexpass or any of the garbage that installs with it,
I could save my media to libraries and plex would download appropriate metadata for each library.
I only want to access my media from my local network, I do not want anyone/anything access to media from outside my network, I do not want streaming video/tv/ads movie clips; and I specifically do not want Plex to "host my server".

Now that I have upgraded to FreeNAS 11.3-U3.2, I am now forced to use the Plex Media Server-PlexPass, now my media server looks like Im running Netflix or some other streaming service.
I do not want outside access to my server
I do not want any streaming services from plex

I do not want them hosting my server
I do want to be able to create create my libraries and have metadata downloaded for them
I want the standard version of plex media server from freenas 11.2, without plexpass and all the "garbage" that installs with it

Please help me with this, Ive searched everywhere I can think of for answer to this everything keeps coming back to plex with plexpass.

My Current system is running:
FreeNAS 11.3-U3.2
Intel Server board ver S3200SHX
CPU: Intel Xeon UP 3.0 GHz
Ram: 8Gb ECC
storage 6, 2TB removable HDD
boot drive: 120Gb SSD

Network: Wired Ethernet 1 Gb

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
You can configure Plex to disable all these extra features. For external access, you can disable Settings->Remote Access. For the additional services, you can disable all the Online Media Sources. Lastly, you can unpin all the extras, only pin your local media.

elorimer

Contributor
This must be a stupid question, but why do you have to use plexpass?

Samuel Tai

HDHomerun.

danb35

Hall of Famer
HDHomerun.
Where did OP say he was using HDHomerun?
Now that I have upgraded to FreeNAS 11.3-U3.2, I am now forced to use the Plex Media Server-PlexPass
What do you erroneously think forces you to use this? And why do you think the beta (plexpass) version has anything to do with the stuff you're complaining about?

Samuel Tai

Steve Davis

Dabbler
This must be a stupid question, but why do you have to use plexpass?

the version of plugin in freenas 11.3 is forcing me to install the plex media server with plexpass, both version of plugin ( stable and beta) are the same version only difference is beta version allows access to beta versions of plex, the stable version doesnt allow access to beta versions.
I cant disable any of its garbage

Samuel Tai

Steve Davis

Dabbler
Where did OP say he was using HDHomerun?

What do you erroneously think forces you to use this? And why do you think the beta (plexpass) version has anything to do with the stuff you're complaining about?
I'm not using the beta version of plugin, i'm using the stable version 1.19.2852 release 11.3-RELEASE-p10
but all the "garbage" that installs with plexpass is still there, I cant disable it and plex will not "remember any of my settings it always defaults to its own settings.

It always defaults to use sync option

every-time i sign into my plex account with plex server I get greeted with " this account needs to be signed in with plexpass to use sync"

I do not have a plexpass

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    1.9 MB · Views: 369
Last edited:

Steve Davis

Dabbler
You can configure Plex to disable all these extra features. For external access, you can disable Settings->Remote Access. For the additional services, you can disable all the Online Media Sources. Lastly, you can unpin all the extras, only pin your local media.
in this version of plex server there are no options to disable remote access or any online access, i have went under every screen and setting availabe and there is nothing that allows option to disable remote access, online content.
plex media will not save any of my settings, such as what is / isnt pinned to my home screen, everytime i start the plex server first thing im greeted with "it seems your home screen is empty" and wants to pin all of my librarys to it I selected what i want pinned and select "finish setup" no settings get saved and every time i exit and open the plex server page again i get greeted with the same thing everytime

if there is an option to save thes settings would you please tell me where it is

elorimer

Contributor
in this version of plex server there are no options to disable remote access or any online access, i have went under every screen and setting availabe and there is nothing that allows option to disable remote access, online content.
There are two plug ins available. In 12.0 these are more usefully labeled as Plex and Plex Beta, rather than plex and plex-bass. I've installed Plex (not beta) in a jail rather than through the plugin, but that shouldn't make a difference for you.

I assume you don't have a plex-pass subscription. I do, so I guess all that stuff you don't want is unlocked to me.

Then I go into plex.tv and the options screen and customize. I will be the first to say the home screen isn't all that easy to understand, but I unpin everything but my own files. The Remote access screen is pretty straightforward, as is saving it all.

So I haven't had any of the issues that you are experiencing.

PS: Sorry, Samuel!

Samuel Tai

plex media will not save any of my settings, such as what is / isnt pinned to my home screen, everytime i start the plex server first thing im greeted with "it seems your home screen is empty" and wants to pin all of my librarys to it I selected what i want pinned and select "finish setup" no settings get saved and every time i exit and open the plex server page again i get greeted with the same thing everytime

if there is an option to save thes settings would you please tell me where it is

To disable remote access:

1593647501420.png

To disable online media:

1593647583978.png

To pin and unpin your media:

1593647640491.png

Now if you have to do this on every boot, then the Plex configuration directory is read-only. Try removing the plugin and reinstalling.

elorimer

Contributor
what is HDHomerun?
Do please google a bit.

HDHomerun is a brilliant bit of hardware and similar software that can put cable tv or antenna tv onto an ethernet network. Super group of people. I have two HDHR Primes and a Duo(antenna) that I've used with Windows Media Center. That was wonderful except in my area the local cable company coded all channels with copy once, and all the broadcast channels are out of range. Dead end for me.

Plex (with plexpass) can similarly pick up the output for Live TV, which was what Samuel was referring to.

Samuel Tai

Samuel Tai

Some of your issues may be because you were running the old warden-based plugin under 11.2, and upgraded to the iocage-based plugin under 11.3. The migration script may not have accounted for everything. You should uninstall the current plugin and reinstall from the Plugins page in the web UI.

Steve Davis

Dabbler
Some of your issues may be because you were running the old warden-based plugin under 11.2, and upgraded to the iocage-based plugin under 11.3. The migration script may not have accounted for everything. You should uninstall the current plugin and reinstall from the Plugins page in the web UI.
I am running a fresh install of FreeNAS 11.3 with the plugin that came with it, thats when all of these problems started happening

also i have several items pinned to my home screen, it constantly says theres nothing there

another odd thing is, i have many librarys defined however plex says i have none

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    195.9 KB · Views: 377
  • Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    289.1 KB · Views: 326
  • Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    1.6 MB · Views: 398
  • Screenshot (10).png
    Screenshot (10).png
    1.6 MB · Views: 434
Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Thank you for the screen shots. They are very helpful. First, for the pinned items, have you mounted your media dataset inside the plex jail, using the Mount Points button in the plugin screen? Second, I see you're using the local portal for the plugin. Inside the local portal, have you logged into Plex?

Steve Davis

Dabbler
Thank you for the screen shots. They are very helpful. First, for the pinned items, have you mounted your media dataset inside the plex jail, using the Mount Points button in the plugin screen? Second, I see you're using the local portal for the plugin. Inside the local portal, have you logged into Plex?

library and dataset jails are mounted.
and yes i was signed into plex account

I think I have a partial workaround the online content loading, I disabled TLS in network settings, made sure that General Network discovery (GDM) was disabled, and restricted access as to ip address range

Attachments

• Screenshot (12).png
    Screenshot (12).png
    167.1 KB · Views: 358
  • Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    2 MB · Views: 287

Steve Davis

Dabbler
library and dataset jails are mounted.
and yes i was signed into plex account

I think I have a partial workaround the online content loading, I disabled TLS in network settings, made sure that General Network discovery (GDM) was disabled, and restricted access as to ip address range
I have lots of media librarys pinned to home screen plex still insists there isn't anything there;
as for the "no content" problem seems plex only wants to display what it wants on home screen and not local media;
apparently this is a bug in plex media server, hopefully they can find and fix the bug.

Attachments

• Screenshot (18).png
    Screenshot (18).png
    1.6 MB · Views: 317
  • Screenshot (13).png
    Screenshot (13).png
    2.3 MB · Views: 310
  • Screenshot (14).png
    Screenshot (14).png
    1.9 MB · Views: 305
  • Screenshot (15).png
    Screenshot (15).png