How do I compile older FreeNAS?

Dotty

Contributor
(Sorry if Im on the wrong thread, and please do point me to the right one if I should move this post)

I was able to compile the latest version of freeNAS on github, straightforward instructions, no problem there.

How do I go about compiling an older version? for example, 11.2 U1?
I know I can download the source as a tar, but the 'build' directory is empty.
The first part of the instructions on github for the latest version says
cd /usr/build
make bootstrap-pkgs
But I dont have a Makefile inside the 'build' downloaded from the old sources.

The https://github.com/freenas/build for the latest version has everything, but the older version downloaded as tar doesnt.

Thanks a lot

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Sorry. I can't answer your question.
I am very curious, so I am just going to ask why you are interested in building an old version? Or, why build it yourself at all?

Dotty

Contributor
Sorry. I can't answer your question.
I am very curious, so I am just going to ask why you are interested in building an old version? Or, why build it yourself at all?
For no reason at all, I just wanted to have an understanding on how the FreeNAS OS works in general, what parts are untouched from FreeBSD and what parts are customized, and how everything fits together. And figuring if there was a way I could contribute somehow. I was going to use the old source to compare with a subsequent one and see how issue are corrected and how the source change from one version to another. Since it is a working project, active, open source, and Im familiar with the functionality, then I though I could use it for learning. I could pick any other project though, but this looks within my reach and fairly well documented.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
For no reason at all, I just wanted to have an understanding on how the FreeNAS OS works in general, what parts are untouched from FreeBSD and what parts are customized, and how everything fits together. And figuring if there was a way I could contribute somehow. I was going to use the old source to compare with a subsequent one and see how issue are corrected and how the source change from one version to another. Since it is a working project, active, open source, and Im familiar with the functionality, then I though I could use it for learning. I could pick any other project though, but this looks within my reach and fairly well documented.
Nice. Thanks!

rvassar

Guru
I've been meaning to take a look into this as well, just for fun, and to polish my DevOps skills.

If you go to that Github page, and look for a button that says "Branch: Master", with a pulldown arrow. It should be to the left of the grayed out "New pull request" button. Pull that down, and step back to the build you want. It goes back to 9.10.2. There are some developer builds/forks in there as well. Those are probably not of interest to you.