How difficult is it to make your own Plugins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjalm

Dabbler
I noticed that the new plugins are very unstable, I lose connection to both firefly and minidlna constantly and have to stop and restart them to get em working. Hopefully this will be fixed in the release version.

How difficult is it to make plugins for FreeNAS? I would love to make a NetBoot/PXE server plugin as well as a Dynamic DNS client also.

ProtoSD

MVP
I noticed that the new plugins are very unstable, I lose connection to both firefly and minidlna constantly and have to stop and restart them to get em working. Hopefully this will be fixed in the release version.

How difficult is it to make plugins for FreeNAS? I would love to make a NetBoot/PXE server plugin as well as a Dynamic DNS client also.

Making plugins at the moment isn't very straight forward. The docs are being worked on, but things are still changing and it's hard to document until things are more concrete. It was advised to wait on trying to create plugins until we get to the RC stage.

As far as a DDNS client, FreeNAS already has that built in. Doing a NetBoot/PXE server *might* be tricky from a jail, it think it has to do with a multicast issue, I could be wrong.

pjalm

Dabbler
If FreeNAS had the NetBoot/PXE server built-in I would definitely pay for it. So far its the only thing left stopping me from making the complete switch. For now I am still running my OSX Server on my Mac Mini but I must say that FreeNAS on the Mac Mini is so fast. I was actually getting network transfers of around 160MB-180MB/sec on my network. I may end up just getting a 2nd Mac Mini and using one with OS X Server just for the NetBoot/PXE and the other with FreeNAS for everything else.

By the way when I say NetBoot I refer to the Mac NetBoot for remote OS Installs/Restores/Booting..... I use this a lot. Very handy for when I have to boot different version of Mac OS for software testing and I can boot it from and computer in my house without the neet to actually install all my development software on every machine I own.

The PXE I want for remote booting Windows and Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.