How can a user change their password?

"Hello and welcome",

My question is that the title says...

How can a user change their password?

Thanks in advanced!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
at a command prompt, type passwd

Does this mean when Configuring Authenticated Access With Local Users that it's not possible for Windows users using their Microsoft account for authentication on FreeNAS to change their Microsoft password and keep their FreeNAS password in sync without involving the system admin? The alternative would then be for them to use the Windows Credential Manager to remember the 'old' FreeNAS password. If so, I see this as a possible weakness of only allowing root access to the WebUI. There doesn't appear to be a mechanism for a FreeNAS user to change their password and have it survive a reboot.

Last edited:
Great point! Note that SMB access is not the same as CLI access, there's passwd and smbpasswd natively. I don't know the secret sauce FreeNAS is using to bind all this together, but if one sticks to the UI and the manual you'll be fine. :)

I did test that the CLI password gets reset upon reboot, when it's changed using passwd but I don't have any Windows shares on my testbox.

The OP isn't clear on what type of password needs to be changed. Thank you for posting the link.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
This does create rather a difficult situation outside of home use, meaning that the admin must either provide a method via API (I guess via some kind of web portal... http://api.freenas.org/resources/account.html#users) for the user to change the password or the admin must set it (and hence know it), which is very problematic.

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Using a auth provider would solve this problem. A business probably wouldn't have local users.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 928

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Huh? Just type in a new password

Actually, there's a GUI bug in 11.3-U3.1, where editing a non-system user fails to make the OK button active. This is due to be fixed in U4.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Actually, there's a GUI bug in 11.3-U3.1, where editing a non-system user fails to make the OK button active. This is due to be fixed in U4.
That case, delete the user and create a new one.

Samuel Tai

That case, delete the user and create a new one.

The Jira comments in the bug report also suggest changing the username and then changing it back.

Thanks for this information!

“Hello and Welcome” :)

Good news!!

After update in Version: FreeNAS-11.3-U3.2, the problem is resolved!

Hominid999

Cadet
To get back to the OP's question: I'm in a similar bind where password coordination between the freenas server and 2 other windows servers is necessary, but users can't change their own password at the CLI; it must be done via the GUI. This is a real pain. Has anyone found a workaround for this? Are there plans for ixsystems to simply use the /etc/passwd file for accounts? Would be nice...

Samuel Tai

To get back to the OP's question: I'm in a similar bind where password coordination between the freenas server and 2 other windows servers is necessary, but users can't change their own password at the CLI; it must be done via the GUI. This is a real pain. Has anyone found a workaround for this? Are there plans for ixsystems to simply use the /etc/passwd file for accounts? Would be nice...

This is what Active Directory is for. For a small-scale setup like this, you could also use LDAP or NIS.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Or run a Samba based DC in a jail (weren't there plans for a plugin?). Then users can change their passwords from Windows or with smbpasswd.