Hopefully this is the right place

csearle

Contributor
Im running FreeNAS 11.3, I was trying to set up a group. After I clicked on save I got this error

[EFAULT] Failed to generate groupmap for [Groupname]: ()

am I going to have issues with this group I named?

costumesguy

Cadet
I'm getting the same error when I try to create a new user. I recently upgraded from 11.2U7 to 11.3U1. I noticed the error first when I was trying to create a new SMB share. I added another user (one that existed before the upgrade) to the new user's group, and was able to access the share. I could not access the share using the new user.

So, I tried creating yet another user. This is the error that I got after trying to create the new user:

Code:
CallError
[EFAULT] Failed to generate groupmap for [shead]: ()

Under 'More Info...'

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 130, in call_method
    io_thread=False)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1077, in _call
    return await methodobj(*args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/service.py", line 396, in create
    f'{self._config.namespace}.create', self, self.do_create, [data]
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1077, in _call
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 961, in nf
    return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/account.py", line 208, in do_create
    group = await self.middleware.call('group.create', {'name': data['username']})
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1127, in call
    app=app, pipes=pipes, job_on_progress_cb=job_on_progress_cb, io_thread=True,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/service.py", line 396, in create
    f'{self._config.namespace}.create', self, self.do_create, [data]
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 961, in nf
    return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/account.py", line 862, in do_create
    await self.middleware.call('smb.groupmap_add', data['name'])
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1127, in call
    app=app, pipes=pipes, job_on_progress_cb=job_on_progress_cb, io_thread=True,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/smb.py", line 366, in groupmap_add
    f'Failed to generate groupmap for [{group}]: ({gm_add.stderr.decode()})'
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Failed to generate groupmap for [shead]: ()

When creating the new user:
  • kept the FreeNas generated UID
  • New Primary Group - checked
  • added an Auxilary group - this existed beforehand. This auxiliary group was most likely created as a result of trying to create another new user. I can say that I added a user that existed before the upgrade to this same group, and was able to access the smb share.
  • left everything else as default
After I got the error, I clicked cancel and viewed the list of Users, and this user was not created. I then looked at the list of Groups, and the group was created.

I have not tried logging into the shell to create a new user yet, so that's my next step. I do hope that I will be able to create new users from the GUI, though. I've been trying to debug why I haven't been able to login to the SMB with the new user for a couple of hours, and finally realized the issue was with the newly created user.

Thanks.

costumesguy

Cadet
I tried removing the auxiliary group, leaving everything set to default except the password, and the same thing happens... error message, no user is created, but the new primary group is created.

costumesguy

Cadet
Some more notes:
  • I can add a group beforehand, uncheck to create the primary group when I create a new user, and set the newly created group as primary. There are no errors and the user is created and added to the group.
  • When creating the group beforehand as mentioned, and adding the group to the ACL of the share/pool, the new user is still not able to access the smb share. A pre-upgrade user is able to access the share after putting them into the new group.
  • I get the same 'Failed to generate groupmap' error when trying to create a user via API