Home Nas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamanipanuchi

Dabbler
I'm attempting to setup a NAS system for basic home use. For basic storage and to learn. Most what I find is worded like it means for full business setup's.

I've got my hands on 6 SATA (Same drive line) 500g drives and 8GB PC2-3200 DDR2-400mhz
ECC ram.

Looking for idea's or recommendations for what I can use to finish off the system and maybe have a little room for growth. I am will to spend a little more money to learn how this all works.

matlock

Contributor
The motherboard you select should allow for future ram upgrades.

matlock

Z300M

Guru
I'm attempting to setup a NAS system for basic home use. For basic storage and to learn. Most what I find is worded like it means for full business setup's.

I've got my hands on 6 SATA (Same drive line) 500g drives and 8GB PC2-3200 DDR2-400mhz
ECC ram.

Looking for idea's or recommendations for what I can use to finish off the system and maybe have a little room for growth. I am will to spend a little more money to learn how this all works.
Since -- it seems -- you already have 8GB of DDR2 RAM, you are no doubt thinking of buying a motherboard that can use it. But when it comes time to increase the RAM, DDR3 RAM will probably be (and is already, I think) cheaper than DDR2, so you may want to consider finding another use for the DDR2 (or sell it) and start over now with DDR3 RAM and motherboard to suit.

Yamanipanuchi

Dabbler
I am pricing the Motherboard and there much more expensive then I thought they would be. You're probably right, But adding the price for memory and a mother board puts me over my budget. So I may just need to wait. Being only for basic home use.

Still need a controller and a case to put this all in, Geesh it adds up fast! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.