Home Folders/ Active Directory

I'm have two issues really.

1. I specify the path to the home folder in active directory to point to freenas and it creates the user home folder but... when I log in as a user it does not sync their home folder to the NAS, instead it just stores it locally on the server like the default behavior.

2. I cannot authenticate to freenas as a domain user at all. It asks for credentials but when using a domain log in it tells me the username or password is incorrect.

We are trying to use freenas for the storage and user data but it just will not cooporate at all. Sometimes it will join the domain and then you can't access any of the shares at all, I'll leave the domain and they will all show up and are browsable. Then I'll rejoin it to the domain and it will work fine. There seems to be no ryme or reason as to why it acts the way it does. Any direction at all would be appreciated. The screenshots are just showing what it looks like from the users point of view, the other is showing the server (windows 2012) and that they are actually created when we specify the path manually in active directory.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-08-25 15-03-37.png
    Screenshot from 2020-08-25 15-03-37.png
    74 KB · Views: 215
  • Screenshot from 2020-08-25 15-04-42.png
    Screenshot from 2020-08-25 15-04-42.png
    103 KB · Views: 227
Well I did a little digging, it seems there is something else going on here. I did find a bug report but no answers. When I do a wbinfo -u I get

root@freenas[~]# wbinfo -u
could not obtain winbind interface details: WBC_ERR_WINBIND_NOT_AVAILABLE
could not obtain winbind domain name!
Error looking up domain

Same with -g so I really don't know what the issue is. I can start the service and it seems to start fine but then i still get these errors. I have tried everything I can think of and find in the forums. It just doesn't want to cooporate. I really want to have this on the domain and pass user accounts to this but I just can't get it to work. It's serving as the NAS for an entire city and it's been really frustrating trying to get it to cooporate. I realize it could just be me as well as this is the first time I've tried to join freenas to a domain. I've been using freenas since the 9.xx days but never had to set it up this way.