Home build 2017

danb35

Hall of Famer
The only -001 mentioned in this thread is the DisplayPort-VGA adapter. That has nothing whatsoever to do with running plugins.

scopeyus

Dabbler
Here's the adapter another FreeNAS user bought last month - https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-DisplayPort-Converter-P134-06N-VGA/dp/B0049E1QRE

Here's their build thread - https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-hpe-proliant-ml10-gen9-freenas-server.56763/ Had I been *that* user, I would have gone ahead with a traditional build with a Supermicro motherboard and had IPMI, etc.
Thanks. That thread is solid gold for me and my many questions, and should give you guys a break from me :smile: for a while as I digest it.

scopeyus

Dabbler
The only -001 mentioned in this thread is the DisplayPort-VGA adapter. That has nothing whatsoever to do with running plugins.
That's what I get for breaking the rule on abbreviating in a post. I meant to ask about Proliant server model number 837826-S01 and its ability to perform with addons such as Plex and Couch Potato.

gpsguy

Yes. You should be able to transcode 2 streams with the CPU. If you need more, you could probably replace the CPU down the road - HPE does sell a version of it with a Xeon CPU, but it's significantly more expensive.

I meant to ask about Proliant server model number 837826-S01 and its ability to perform with addons such as Plex and Couch Potato.

Z300M

Guru
These HP machines don't have IPMI or an equivalent?

gpsguy

Correct.

But for someone looking for small server on a budget, I think it fits the bill. The CPU alone is worth about $125, if one was buying it retail.

These HP machines don't have IPMI or an equivalent?

LIGISTX

Guru
Wow. That is amazing deal on a pretty capable little server. I am pretty tempted to pick one up instead of build my own from scratch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LIGISTX

Guru
I think I'm going to finally buy one of these HP servers basically per this threads recommendations.

Anyone have a link to the specific RAM I should get? Not sure if I need specific ECC for it or what.

I am thinking of adding an 8 gig stick, and if 12GB ends up being insufficient I'll buy another. 12GB of ram for a 6x6TB Z2 setup, only trying to saturate gigabit, should juuuust ok?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Anyone have a link to the specific RAM I should get? Not sure if I need specific ECC for it or what.
It should be standard unbuffered DDR4 ECC DIMMs, but if you go to crucial.com they'll set you straight.

SOdekirk

Cadet
I just finished a build using an HP ML10 Gen 9 and am very pleased with the results.
I added 1 8GB stick for a total of 12GB. Like danb35 says, the Crucial website will help you find the correct part.
FreeNAS installation and setup was a piece of cake.
I plan to post a detailed explanation of the build soon. I'm happy to answer any questions in the meantime.

Shawn

Inxsible

Guru
I am thinking of adding an 8 gig stick, and if 12GB ends up being insufficient I'll buy another.
Make sure you buy the stick with the same frequency as the original 4GB stick. Different frequency will work, but only at the speed of the lower stick. Why pay more for speed you are not gonna use?

LIGISTX

Guru
I just bought the same HPE system. Your system going well thus far?

scopeyus

Dabbler
I just bought the same HPE system. Your system going well thus far?

I've stalled out on the project. After installing hardware and OS, ran into trouble setting up email config and ip's for jails. Also, not sure how to update bios. I thought it would be more like setting up pc

Inxsible

Guru
ran into trouble setting up email config
What kind of trouble and which email? SMART or the root user's email?
and ip's for jails.
Why do you have to do that? If you are installing plugins, they auto-create the jail and use the next available IP address based on the range that you have provided.
Also, not sure how to update bios.
FreeDOS bootable USB FTW !!!!! If you need instructions on how to create a bootable FreeDOS usb then look here.

danb35

Hall of Famer

scopeyus

Dabbler
This may not be the best time to answer since I'm out of town for 2 weeks on business and can't work on it since I haven't set up remote access yet.
  • I was trying to set up email notifications so not sure how to answer root or SMART
  • Thought I had to reserve a range of ip's on the router for jails prior to installing
  • How is a bootable usb going to help me update bios?
I travel extensively, and when I get home, can't seem to get back to it with all the honey do's. That's where I'm at though, with a server that boots to the gui and all of the setup still to do. Eventually I want to move the family pics from the pc to the two x 2Tb red drives on the server and set up Plex, Couch Potato, Sickbeard, etc.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I was trying to set up email notifications so not sure how to answer root or SMART
The setup for SMART email notifications is different from the setup for other email notifications. If you're having trouble with either, there should be a number of threads on the subject.
Thought I had to reserve a range of ip's on the router for jails prior to installing
You shouldn't need to do anything on your router. In the FreeNAS web GUI, go to Jails -> Configuration -> Advanced Mode, and enter a range of IP addresses that your router won't assign via DHCP (that is, they're outside the address range that your router assigns). Or don't, and make sure Jails -> Configuration -> IPv4 DHCP is checked.
How is a bootable usb going to help me update bios?
Why do you think you need to?

LIGISTX

Guru
Why do you think you need to?

Someone told him he did... I don’t know enough to help on any of this. I should start playing with mine soon, assuming it shows up this week.

6519ad56e297a6a997b5f71ab0a5a22e.jpg

scopeyus

Dabbler
Correct! Someone told him he did :smile:
I'm still here and can hear you!
Like: 'what are we going to do with Grampa!' Ha Ha

LIGISTX

Guru
Correct! Someone told him he did :smile:
I'm still here and can hear you!
Like: 'what are we going to do with Grampa!' Ha Ha

Lol I’m not calling you out haha. Just showing what happened ;)