Home build 2017

danb35

Hall of Famer
Typically vendors don't recommend you update your BIOS unless you're having a specific problem that you think the update might correct.

Inxsible

Guru
How is a bootable usb going to help me update bios?
Because that's what the FreeDOS bootable usb does. It helps you update the BIOS.

As to whether you have the need to update the BIOS is a totally separate issue.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Because that's what the FreeDOS bootable usb does. It helps you update the BIOS.
...presuming a bootable device is needed for this at all. Is it?

Inxsible

Guru
...presuming a bootable device is needed for this at all. Is it?
You'd need a bootable device with an OS to boot up.

I am talking about boards where you don't have the option to update via IPMI -- because
  1. The board doesn't support IPMI OR
  2. You don't want to spend $20 bucks to get the ability to update the BIOS via IPMI

danb35

Hall of Famer
You'd need a bootable device with an OS to boot up.
Are you sure that's the case for that board? Because for many consumer-grade boards, at least, you can do the update directly through the BIOS setup utility. I know nothing about the HP board in question though.

scopeyus

Dabbler
So... I never got this box configured and now planning on selling house and everything else and going full time RVing. I was wondering if I could offer this for sale or trade for a small Qnap or something? I apparently lack the skills to make it run and the form factor is too large for RV even if I did.

joeschmuck

Old Man
going full time RVing
My wife will find you, she's been itching to do that too. Not sure I could not have a house to come back to.

I was wondering if I could offer this for sale or trade for a small Qnap or something?
Sure you can. Visit the Great Deals section of our forum. Whatever you are selling, be very specific in the parts listing, try to see it as a full unit or as individual parts. Do not price the items as though they were new or you will never get an offer. Remember to put yourself in the buyers point of view.

Good luck on your adventures!