Home Assistant and FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TooMuchData

Contributor
I run Home Assistant in a VM on FreeNAS 11.0-U4. Been using it for years to manage lights, switches, thermostats, and IOT devices. Works great.

Recently I started using HASS to "manage" FN replication tasks (specifically to enable and disable them individually or en mass). Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 2.08.39 PM.jpg

Just wondering if other FN users are interested in such integrations or have done them already?

Dice

Wizard
Cool integration.

TooMuchData

Contributor
There doesn't seem to be much interest, but I thought I would post my latest Home Assistant "FreeNAS" page:

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 10.30.30 PM.jpg

I have two FreeNAS systems. The first is a C2750D4I w/ 32GB and 6x6TB WD Reds in a Fractal Node. I use it for file storage and Emby (which I prefer to Plex). The second box is a Lenovo TS140 with 16GB, 2x6TB, and 2x1TB. Connected to it via homebuilt SAS is 6x6TB in another Node case. The TS140 box is for testing and replication for backup.

The Node SAS box has a Particle Photon controlling the power via a $3 relay (in parallel with the pushbutton) and a Supermicro PCC-JBPWR2. The Photon also senses whether the control board has lit the power LED. Control of and status from Photon to Home Assistant (running in a FreeNAS VM) is via MQTT Broker (running in same VM). The HASS "TS140 NodePower Switch" then controls the SAS box and shows status. I also have a bunch of switches to turn replication tasks on and off (via the FreeNAS API). By collecting all these switches under one "card" Home Assistant gratuitously gives me a switch to bulk control enable/disable all the replication tasks (replaces 9 edit/disable/close sequences on FN). There are cron tasks on the two FN systems sending temperature and other data to HASS via MQTT for display in badges. FreeNAS doesn't have an MQTT publisher (really should be included in FreeBSD under FN), but HASS does and let's FN use it via CURL to the HASS API. Finally I have a "TS140tank Zvol" sensor which uses the FreeNAS API to show whether the volume in the SAS box has been imported or not.

The primary purpose of my Home Assistant system is to control lighting, HVAC, leak detection, and some automation. My next automation will be to lower the thermostat if any of the FreeNAS hard drives are getting too hot (email notifications sent by FreeNAS could also be sent to HASS to trigger such an automation).

When away from home I access HASS either via VPN Tunnel or an Android phone app.

Installing HASS takes 10 minutes. Configuring HASS is done by YAML files. The learning curve is not trivial, but is substantially less than for FreeNAS. And, like FreeNAS, there is a very supportive user community. See hass.io if interested.

TooMuchData

Contributor
I have recently been asked how I get the FreeNAS data into Home Assistant. Some of that is explained above, and the answer, until today, was cron jobs on FreeNAS that published MQTT data via curl to the HASS service. HASS sensors subscribed to and processed the MQTT payloads.

I had also been asked to post my scripts, but I never did so because I was changing them in response to FreeNAS and FreeBSD version changes.

Anyway, I've now adopted a HASS only approach. Instead of scripts on the FreeNAS side I'm now using ssh to execute commands on FreeNAS. Consequently, most of my HASS sensors are now "command_line" instead of MQTT. For instance, this is the entry format in my sensors.yaml file to get one disk temperature every five minutes:

Code:
- platform: command_line
  name: 'C2750D4I ADA2'
  unit_of_measurement: '°C'
  scan_interval: 300
  command: >-
	ssh -i /config/.ssh/id_rsa -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -q
	xxx@192.168.0.xxx
	smartctl -A /dev/ada2 | grep -i temperature | awk '{print $10"°"}'

My HASS system runs under Docker on Raspbian Stretch on a Raspberry Pi 3B+. For the above to work I had to first issue ssh-copy-id from the pi to FreeNAS. Then I had create a .ssh directory in /usr/share/hassio/homeassistant/ and copy the id_rsa key from /home/pi/.ssh to /usr/share/hassio/homeassistant/.ssh. The ssh command above refers to /config/.ssh, which is how HASS (Docker) knows the directory.
Thanks go to BlinkyLights who outlined the approach in this post:
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/hass-io-and-making-ssh-client-requests-to-another-device/47225.

For cpu temperatures I use:
Code:
sysctl dev.cpu.0 | grep temperature | tr '.' ' ' | awk '{print $5"°"}'

My replication switches access the FreeNAS API, and are in this form in my switches.yaml file:
Code:
  switches:
	fn_repl_12:
	scan_interval: 60
	  friendly_name: FreeNAS Replication - Iohyve
	  command_on: 'curl -H "Content-Type: application/json" -X PUT -d "{\"repl_enabled\":true}" -u root:password http://192.168.0.xxx/api/v1.0/storage/replication/12/'
	  command_off: 'curl -H "Content-Type: application/json" -X PUT -d "{\"repl_enabled\":false}" -u root:password http://192.168.0.xxx/api/v1.0/storage/replication/12/'
	  command_state: 'curl -X GET -u root:password http://192.168.0.xxx/api/v1.0/storage/replication/12/'
	  value_template: '{{value_json.repl_enabled}}'

Last edited by a moderator:

DeanNotDin

Dabbler
I have recently been asked how I get the FreeNAS data into Home Assistant. Some of that is explained above, and the answer, until today, was cron jobs on FreeNAS that published MQTT data via curl to the HASS service. HASS sensors subscribed to and processed the MQTT payloads.

I had also been asked to post my scripts, but I never did so because I was changing them in response to FreeNAS and FreeBSD version changes.

Anyway, I've now adopted a HASS only approach. Instead of scripts on the FreeNAS side I'm now using ssh to execute commands on FreeNAS. Consequently, most of my HASS sensors are now "command_line" instead of MQTT. For instance, this is the entry format in my sensors.yaml file to get one disk temperature every five minutes:

name: 'C2750D4I ADA2'
unit_of_measurement: '°C'
scan_interval: 300
command: >-
ssh -i /config/.ssh/id_rsa -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -q
xxx@192.168.0.xxx
smartctl -A /dev/ada2 | grep -i temperature | awk '{print $10"°"}'

My HASS system runs under Docker on Raspbian Stretch on a Raspberry Pi 3B+. For the above to work I had to first issue ssh-copy-id from the pi to FreeNAS. Then I had create a .ssh directory in /usr/share/hassio/homeassistant/ and copy the id_rsa key from /home/pi/.ssh to /usr/share/hassio/homeassistant/.ssh. The ssh command above refers to /config/.ssh, which is how HASS (Docker) knows the directory.
Thanks go to BlinkyLights who outlined the approach in this post:
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/hass-io-and-making-ssh-client-requests-to-another-device/47225.

For cpu temperatures I use:
sysctl dev.cpu.0 | grep temperature | tr '.' ' ' | awk '{print $5"°"}'

My replication switches access the FreeNAS API, and are in this form in my switches.yaml file:
switches:
fn_repl_12:
scan_interval: 60
friendly_name: FreeNAS Replication - Iohyve
command_on: 'curl -H "Content-Type: application/json" -X PUT -d "{\"repl_enabled\":true}" -u root:password http://192.168.0.xxx/api/v1.0/storage/replication/12/'
command_off: 'curl -H "Content-Type: application/json" -X PUT -d "{\"repl_enabled\":false}" -u root:password http://192.168.0.xxx/api/v1.0/storage/replication/12/'
command_state: 'curl -X GET -u root:password http://192.168.0.xxx/api/v1.0/storage/replication/12/'
value_template: '{{value_json.repl_enabled}}'

Wow! This is awesome!
Thank you for this great tip!

sretalla