Hide Dataset Folders

Seigler

Cadet
Hello everyone.

Let me start by saying I’m extremely new to NAS in general much less FreeNAS so I would like to apologize in advance if anything I say or if the way I’m going about things seems a bit dull.

With that said I’m having a bit of an issue setting up things in a specific way and I was hoping someone might be able to help.

What I’m attempting to do is setup a NAS that is a single folder wherein a folder for each family member can sit as well as a shared folder. The issue I’m having with this is that I’m wanting the folders which are not that family member’s to not be shown.

An example of this would be.

Inside of NAS folder: ‘Sally’ ‘Bob’ ‘Shared’
Sally looking inside of the NAS folder: ‘Sally’ ‘Shared’
Bob looking inside of the NAS folder: ‘Bob’ ‘Shared’

I’ve been trying this for like the last two or three days to no avail. As you can imagine I’ve tried a number of different tweaks to try to get this to work but just as a general example the following is broadly what I’ve been trying before doing various tweaks.

Create the volume ‘storage’

Create the following datasets

‘/mnt/storage/family’
‘/mnt/storage/family/bob’
‘/mnt/storage/family/sally’
/mnt/storage/family/shared’

Create the user group ‘family’
Create ‘bob’ and ‘sally’ with the main group ‘family’.

Set the permission on ‘bob’ and ‘sally’ datasets to having their respective accounts as the owner and removing all privileges aside from the owner. Then for shared I do the same thing but for groups instead using the group as ‘family’.

I then go into Share > SMB and create a share for ‘/mnt/storage/family/’ and I’ve tried a number of checkbox configurations on here.

When mapping a network drive sometimes I can login but other times when I login it will just continuously go back to the login prompt with no message, however when adding a network location, it seems to work despite that. I’m guessing it has something to do with checking if it’s a Microsoft account or allowing guest logins? I’m not entirely sure. Either way whenever I’m then inside of the ‘family’ folder I can unfortunately see all three ‘sally’, ‘bob’, and ‘shared’ folders. The closest I’ve gotten is that when ‘bob’ tries to click on the ‘sally’ folder it gives a permission error, however for the life of me I can’t get it to hide folders that don’t have permission.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially if you can explain it like I’m five and give me step by step detailed instructions – as mention I’m still brand new to this and trying to learn.

Thank you.

JaimieV

Guru
You can't do what you wish, there's no per-user folder hiding like that.

Why not create shares for /mnt/storage/family/bob, /mnt/storage/family/sally, and /mnt/storage/family/shared, and map bob+shared on Bob's computer, etc?

Seigler

Cadet
You can't do what you wish, there's no per-user folder hiding like that.

Why not create shares for /mnt/storage/family/bob, /mnt/storage/family/sally, and /mnt/storage/family/shared, and map bob+shared on Bob's computer, etc?

Consolidation was the main reason as to why I was hoping to do it this way. Honestly what I truly wanted was to have a shared folder within the user folders. So for example when 'bob' went to their NAS folder they would have all of their files and the 'shared' folder would be in there as well. Unfortunate I had no idea how to make a 'shared' folder be in every users NAS folder so I thought I could just make on overarching folder which would contain both.

I suppose I could mount two separate network folders, one which is 'bob' and one which is 'shared' and do that for every user, however I was hoping to just have one mounted NAS point for everything.

Thank you for letting me know it wasn't possible.

Photonit

Cadet