HEOS not able to connect to FreeNAS

TrevInCarlton

Dabbler
I have setup shares which I can access via Windows and Mac. However I can't connect to the shares hosted by FreeNas server from the HEOS app running on my iPad. If I try to connect to Windows or Mac shares from the Heos app it makes the connection without problems, it is only connecting to FreeNAS where problems occur. It could simply be a syntax error but I have followed all the instructions and have tried typing the path to the folder in every way I can think of. I have guest access enabled so there shouldn't be any issue with account and password names.

I have run out of ideas on this.

racielrod

Explorer
Did you figure this out? I'm trying to setup this at home and I'm having the same issues.

racielrod

Explorer
@TrevInCarlton I followed @dlavigne question and I could connect to my network share as soon as I enabled SMB1 on the share.
It looks like Denon's client uses SMB1 which is a shame because it has been discontinued and its usage discouraged due to security reasons.
Personally I'm not enabling SMB1 and will look for an alternative to stream music from my FreeNAS.

kappclark

Explorer
I am glad to have read this , because I am looking to replace my aging AVR with HEOS-based box ... but reading this thread makes me pause -- I am going to send a link of this thread to Denon support -- see what they say ... but it really seems sloppy that they would not disable the version of SMB that Microsoft stopped supporting back in 2017

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I believe SMB1 is tentatively scheduled to be entirely removed from Samba in 5.0. FreeNAS 12.0 will be based on Samba 4.12, and at some point 4.12 may be backported to FreeNAS 11.3 (depending on timing of when Samba 4.10 goes EOL and the development state of 4.12 at that time). This means that there is at least one year, maybe two years worth of SMB1 support remaining from upstream (nothing officially stated in this regard).

kappclark

Explorer
Interesting -- I never heard back from Denon .. will reach out to the usergroup

kappclark

Explorer
UPDATE - I heard back from Denon customer support -- here is what they told me: (at least they acknowledge it is an issue and will be addressing it ...)

Response By Email (Michael M from Customer Service) (04/17/2020 09:45 AM)

Hello Bill,

Thank you for your email. The Network Shares feature from the HEOS App currently requires SMB 1.0 enabled on the PC or Media Server. We understand SMB 1.0 has depreciated and can pose a security risk, so we are planning on updating the SMB requirement in the near future via a firmware update.

Thank You,
HEOS Support Team