Help with Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorgelhus

Cadet
Hey Guys! I'm helping a friend build a FreeNAS for Media Server.

The specs:

CPU: Intel Core i3 - 4170 3.7GHz - Dual-Core
Motherboard: ASRock - E3C226D2I
Memory: 16GB ECC
Case: Fractal Design Node 804.
PSU: Corsair CSM 650W Gold.
Fans: 2x Noctua 92mm, 1x Noctua 140mm
Storage: 1x SSD Kingston 120GB, 5x WD-Red 6TB.

The Details:
- The FreeNAS was installed on the 128GB SSD to best performance (his choice).
- The five other Disks are waiting for an opportunity to be added.

He will use the system as a personal storage for work-related files, and for a media server for PLEX. The main issue we found are the drives:

I offered him to make a set with 2 drives mirrored. He is not interested because he would have access to only 10TB of the whole system (He said that he wants to have access to AT LEAST 16TB).

Since this will be used in work-related actions, I was not interested in setting up a stripe without any kind of mirroring, but to use the 3 drives mirrored, we would need to remove the SSD and change for another 6TB Drive.

If He were open to have the Media Files in a not so secure option, so I was thinking about creating 2 storages, one with 10TB and one with 6TB. The 10TB, obviously, mirrored, would be setup just to handle his personal and work-related files, while the 6TB would be setup for the PLEX Media Server. The main issue here is that he have some precious old movies, and is not interested in losing them.

We can't add an extra 6th Drive because the SSD is using the last SATA Port. If we decide to have 6 6TB, we would have to give up on the SSD and move to the USB Installation, losing some performance and safety.

That is all, I believe. Anyone has any kind of tip on this?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Get an HBA, add a 6th drive, create a RAIDZ2 vdev and call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.