Help with Plex WebTools.bundle. Not appearing after manual install.

Calummck

Cadet
Hi long time reader first time poster.

Hopefully this is a simple thing I'm overlooking. I am running freenas 11.3 with the latest (maybe second latest as of now) update of the Plex Media Server plug-in. I have been trying to get the Unsupported Plugin. I tried a few instructions for downloading via the Plex Plugin's Shell but considering the solutions I found were dated I think i can safely conclude that something structurally has changed as some of the posts were a few years old. Every command returned a not supported line.

Then tried downloading the latest WebTools.bundle.zip directly from github on my windows 10 machine. Unzipped and dropped into /mnt/WDred/iocage/jails/Plex/plugin/ via ftp, and changed permissions to open 777. Restarted the whole Freenas server. Opened plex again and no plugin was found. Could I have ended up with a window's version of the Webtools since I downloaded from a windows machine. Or is there a step I'm missing I've been looking at this in my spare time for well over a week with nothing really. There doesn't seem to be very much if any recent posts about this.

Thanks

Redcoat

MVP
Didn't Plex kill off plug-ins a couple of years ago?

Calummck

Cadet
You can still install 3rd party plugins manually. I figured it out. Had to go a little further into the directories to find the right "Plug-ins". The correct path was:
/mnt/WDred/iocage/jails/Plex/root/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins

However ended up being a bit of a waste of time, as available content/tools for the WebTools is about nilch since they took the channels feature out of Plex. Silver lining if any one is having trouble manually installing another 3rd party plugin for plex using at as time the current versions that seems to be the way to do it. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Calummck

Cadet
Did you try check your permissions on the Freenas side, I'm pretty new myself and everyone is setup a little different. But either on the share, or modify what group(s) your user is in.

I've been using an older Filezilla client to drop files on my Freenas, that also allows me to change permissions. I just log in with a "wheel" user and it works fine, and at least for me feels simpler. Let me know if you're successful!

I personally had little luck with the plex plugins since I recently learned Plex scrapped them "officially" a little while back. Your mileage may very. I have heard of people using the Kodi Player to hit their plex-box through Kodi's plex plugin, and I believe it has a broad variety of plugins. I'm also considering this option when I get some time to have a sever day.