Help with Permissions

Hawkins

Dabbler
First Some system specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 v6 @ 3.50GHz (8 cores)
OS Version: FreeNAS-11.2-U7
Memory:32 GiB

So here is my issue. I have Plex installed as a plugin.

I set up "plexuser" as a User within.
1578844772238.png

It also has it's own group:
1578844809835.png

I also have my own user "Hawkins" linked to my PC where I manage the server, the shared folders, etc. Essentially my user has access to everything.

This problem all started happening recently when I started using a SiliconDust Homerun device for Live TV. When I tried DVR functionality, I got an error saying Plex didn't have permission to write to my "TV" folder. I played around with permissions and now it works; but now I created another issue which I can't seem to fix. Now, when I put any NEW folder into my Plex Media folder on the server, that folder is not automatically recognized by Plex (it appears Plex sees it but doesn't have permissions to actually read/execute the contents.

Here are the permissions on my PlexMedia storage pool:
1578845167407.png

So when I go into Plex and "Scan" for new content, it comes up with nothing. When I go to manually edit/add the new folder in Plex, I click "Manage Library -->Edit -->Add Folders --> Browse for Media Folder --> and I see this:

1578845635646.png

Note that the "New Test Folder for Demo" I set up for demo purposes is not read initially by Plex (it's "grayed" out). Therefore any content within is not read by Plex.

This is easily resolved by going into the Plexmedia Pool that I set up (two pictures above), clicking "Apply Permissions Recursively", and "Save". Then it works like it should.

So my question to you all? How do I get the New sub-folders to automatically have the same permissions as the "parent folders". Note that I still have full access from my PC to the entire PlexMedia directory (user "Hawkins") without having to change the permissions. I'd rather not have to go in and save new permissions every time I add something. At this point, Plex Live TV DVR is working with whatever I did and the "Scans" work too after I do the step to apply permissions again.

Also note that I am somewhat of a FreeNAS noob. I am a little slow at all the coding/shell usage etc. I am trying my best so please be patient :)

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1578845380519.png
    1578845380519.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Add a user/group to FreeNAS named plex in the same way you already have for plexuser, and remove the plexuser account, ill explain why. By default plex runs as the user/group plex, unless you change it. FreeNAS knows about the user plexuser, but plex does not. So if you make FreeNAS aware of the user/group plex and add the group "plex" as either the main or an auxillary to your user Hawkins. Then finally chown recursively the root of your MEDIA directory in the same way you have done above to the user/group Hawkins : plex you can likely be rid of this.

Hawkins

Dabbler
Add a user/group to FreeNAS named plex in the same way you already have for plexuser, and remove the plexuser account, ill explain why. By default plex runs as the user/group plex, unless you change it. FreeNAS knows about the user plexuser, but plex does not. So if you make FreeNAS aware of the user/group plex and add the group "plex" as either the main or an auxillary to your user Hawkins. Then finally chown recursively the root of your MEDIA directory in the same way you have done above to the user/group Hawkins : plex you can likely be rid of this.

Thanks for this. Will try it when I got home. As mentioned, everything worked perfectly before (for about a year prior) so hopeful this gets me back to where we started before I began messing with the DVR function of Plex LiveTV

There are many ways to skin this cat but for you I think this will be easiest. Let me know if it doesn't work out. Good luck!

Hawkins

Dabbler
There are many ways to skin this cat but for you I think this will be easiest. Let me know if it doesn't work out. Good luck!

I did the steps you provided and Plex is not immediately reading my "Test Folder". Does UNIX vs. Windows User Have anything to do with it? Apply Mode?

This is installed as a plug-in? Not in a jail? I'll have to spin up the Plex plug-in and fiddle with it. Forgive me I haven't used any plugins for awhile. Stay tuned.

Hawkins

Dabbler
Yes, installed as Plug In (and in a jail). I appreciate your help. It's odd --- I cannot seem to log onto Plex using the ip address any longer. I can still access the PlexMedia" folder from Windows Explorer. I am making a copy because I also would like to upgrade to the PlexPass version of the plugin.

I am not sure what I did with the permissions but something isn't right :( I was able to troubleshoot and I can ping my Plex Server successfully --- i just can't access the Plex Management Page

So very strange i upgraded to 11.3-RC a week or so ago and now when I go to the plugin page I get an error message and the plugins dont load. One other thing I noticed rereading all of this is that across systems the UID and GID for the plex users should match each other on the FreeNAS host and in the plugin (mine are 972 not sure if this is default).

Anyways I found this and its basically the same issue you are having.

So my suggestion now is to change the GID of the plex group to 972 in the FreeNAS host. Then again set the permissions recursively to the user Hawkins and group plex (GID 972). So, do this at the CLI

pw groupmod plex -g 972
pw groupmod plex -m Hawkins (makes sure user Hawkins is member of plex group 972)

Dont forget to recursively set permissions again to Hawkins : plex on your media.

If you still cant get to the web interface, this is where those snapshots come in handy.