Help with helping myself

efigalaxie

Cadet
Hello! My name is David.
I have posted some not very nice things over on the storage area of this forum. I am going to delete them and I apologize.

I HAVE downloaded the manual. It looks like it mostly guide one through things going well.

I have been into this stuff since I was 11. I understand things well, I get caught up on syntax and methodology. I guess I am getting old and crotchety.

I realize this is free and an enterprise product at that. I am grateful to the developers. I do not understand why some things are the way they are. (IE why the drive serial numbers aren't visible in every window in the Storage section of the application. To me, it would make tracking things a lot easier.) (IE - why things say they are optimal - multpath - and then don't show as multipath in 'create pool') These things make it very hard for someone with little Linux/BSD experience.

Please be patient with me, and Please help me out. I am here willing and ready to learn. I will pause what I am doing and learn if any of you gurus will point me where to start.

Sincerely - David Falls

efigalaxie

Cadet
Ok. I have went through the slideshow from cyberjock. Very good job, by the way.

Here is my hardware.
The Freenas system drive is a 64GB Sandisk USB3 thumbdrive in the Internal usb port of the r510. The System is dedicated for FreeNAS ONLY!!!

R510.
64GB ECC Ram
2 x5675 Xeons
H200 internal HBA card handling 8 3.5" SAS drives
H200e external HBA card handling 5 DAS Shelves

The DAS shelves
TWO Compellant SC200 Shelves with 12 2TB drives each
ONE Compellant SC220 Shelf with 24 500GB drives
TWO IBM EXP3000 Shelves with 12 1TB drives Each

Internal
8 2TB drives.

ALL drives are SAS.

All Shares are done using Samba.

My Uses.
Movies, Music, Pictures - Stream using EMBY (Emby running on another machine - NOT in a jail)
Cloud Backup - Using either NextCloud or OwnCloud....again on a different machine.

Backup will be only of data and not Freenas in and of itself. If my data is safe, I can always rebuild the system. This isnt critical and as long as I CAN restore my data...I have a safe backup - I don't care.
My Data Backup will be with a Tandenberg Data Magnum 224 with a SAS LTO4 drive on another machine. I will be using Acronis Backup through Samba sharing to back up the data. The LTO tape has a 30 year archival rating and seems to be the safest backup plan.

Any recommendations or changes I need to make here?? This looks good to me and seems to align with the recommendations, but I want to be certain.