Help understanding pool storage vs boot/config storage

zeebee

Explorer
I'm almost at the point of putting 'production' data onto my first FreeNAS system, but there's still something I'd like to understand better before going ahead.

If my boot drive is lost (or I do a clean install), FreeNAS lets me import my pool from my pool drives. I know I'm also able to import my FreeNAS config, assuming I had a backup. However, what I don't understand is exactly which data is coming from the pool, and which from the config - especially when it comes to permissions and users.

For example, I have a dataset for storing security camera footage. I've created a 'security' user (and group) and configured the dataset to use it. This all works great. However, if I nuked my boot drive, did a clean install, and imported my pool... what happens? Assuming I didn't import a backed up FreeNAS config, does the pool know about this 'security' user and the associated permissions? If not, what happens to the ownership on the files?

Any insights you can give me here would be much appreciated :)

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Config contains the user database... this maps names (like security) to the userID (like 1001 or whatever number you assigned... or was automatically assigned on user creation) which is stored in the individual access entries for files and directories. Same for groups and groupID.

Without that user database, the permissions of the files and directories in the data pool(s) will just be numbered users/groups that don't necessarily exist on your system.

Either restore config (if you set one of your data pools as the system dataset location, it will automatically have a recent config there to restore from), or recreate users/groups with the same IDs and names and everything will be back to normal.

Worst case, start again by using root to chown the files (changing ownership to whatever users/groups you want).

This is all standard unix permissions.

If you're going to do fancy stuff like windows permissions, you'll need to understand that (but usually this means the permissions refer out to a windows user database, so not part of this discussion and the ACLs are retained in the data pool anyway in that case)

zeebee

Explorer
Ah I see. So when I do an "ls -l /mnt/tank", it's pulling the ids from the pool file system, but resolving the names using the user database (stored elsewhere). That seems like it would be fine from a recovery sense, and I'm not doing anything that would make rebuilding the permissions using chown a problem anyway.

I am using windows shares, but they seem to be working ok with just setting up the users/groups/permissions in FreeNAS, rather than using any ACL or domain controller stuff (I don't really understand all that, hoping it's something I don't need).

You said my config should be available in my pool if it's set as my system dataset location. In the GUI, under "System/System Dataset", my pool is listed as the system dataset (I think I set this after install). However, I don't see any system dataset listed under "Storage/Pools", nor under "/mnt/tank" via shell. This seems odd, or is it hidden somehow?

zeebee

Explorer
@sretalla - I've been setting up shares in different ways to experiment with permissions, and I think I'd like to use something beyond just the basic "same permissions for all users". This has led me to the ACLs that you mentioned above. I'm only just starting to play around with them, but I thought you might be able to confirm something for me. From what I can tell, I can use ACLs without using a Domain or any kind of windows user database. Is this correct? This is just for our small family, but I'd like to be able to have different permissions for parents vs kids (for example, so the kids can view our photo library, but not delete photos they don't like!). It looks like the ACLs are attached to the pool storage (like you said above) and I imagine use the same user ids that regular permissions use?

sretalla