Help understanding jail FreeBSD version versus host system version

rudds

Dabbler
I'm planning to upgrade from 11.2-u8 to 11.3-u1 this weekend, which will be the first time I'll need to upgrade my jails since I first built them on 11.2 last year.

This has led me to realize that I don't understand how FreeBSD differentiates the version its host system runs on vs. the version a jail is running on. I had assumed the two were in sync (i.e. the jail runs on the host system's kernel/install) but that doesn't seem to be accurate per below.

Code:
root@freenas[~]# freebsd-version
11.2-STABLE
root@freenas[~]# iocage exec plex freebsd-version
11.2-RELEASE-p9

Can someone help me understand why this distinction exists? I'm new to FreeBSD outside of my time with FreeNAS, so there are likely basic philosophical aspects to the way releases are handled that I'm not familiar with (e.g. I only know terms like "userland" by intuitively guessing what they mean, and I'm not sure if a release version pertains to a kernel version or if those things are separate, etc.).

If I had to guess, the -pX suffix refers to patch level, and bringing a -RELEASE version up to the latest patch level puts you pretty close to the latest -STABLE release in terms of bug fixes and security updates. Is that in the right neighborhood?

Anyway, I realize this question is a bit broad but some basic context for how these things relate to each other would be helpful, so I can try to figure out what I need to do to update my jails after upgrading to 11.3 without breaking anything.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I can try to figure out what I need to do to update my jails after upgrading to 11.3 without breaking anything.
This is easy: iocage upgrade -r 11.3-RELEASE plex (obviously, substitute jail names as appropriate).