Help! Setting up certain folders to be 'locked' to general users (permissions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

takkischitt

Explorer
Hi

I've been trying on and off for quite a while now to set up my server the way I'd like it, but I'm really struggling with how to set up permissions correctly. I've read tutorials and watched videos, but I'm just not sure I'm doing things correctly as I just cannot get the system set up the way I want it to run.

Background
  • Currently I have a volume set up (lets call it 'Files') and in 'Files' there are a number of other sub-folders. Anyone who connects to the network can just find 'Files' on the NAS and just double click to enter that directory (and any directory or files within 'Files').
Aims
  • I dont mind anyone on the network being able to just double click and enter some of the folders within the 'Files' volume. However, some of the other folders I want to be protected so general users on the network cannot open those folders or view inside them. E.g. there is a folder in 'Files' which is used to contain backups of each computer on the network. Obviously a dont want User A to be able to navigate to User B's computer backup folder and see the files on their computer.
  • The folders which I do want to protect, I dont mind if they request a username and password to enter (or something along those lines), as it will be only myself who would ever need to access them anyway, but I dont want every user to have to have a username/password. I want to keep things simple for them so they're not pestering me with forgotten passwords, etc.
Potential Issues

Currently I use SyncBackPro to run backups on each computer. It knows which folders/files on the computer to backup, and it knows where to mirror them to on the NAS. I guess I will need to set SyncBackPro to be able to use username/password credentials to access the computer backups directory after it is 'locked' for general users?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi

I've been trying on and off for quite a while now to set up my server the way I'd like it, but I'm really struggling with how to set up permissions correctly. I've read tutorials and watched videos, but I'm just not sure I'm doing things correctly as I just cannot get the system set up the way I want it to run.

Background
  • Currently I have a volume set up (lets call it 'Files') and in 'Files' there are a number of other sub-folders. Anyone who connects to the network can just find 'Files' on the NAS and just double click to enter that directory (and any directory or files within 'Files').
Aims
  • I dont mind anyone on the network being able to just double click and enter some of the folders within the 'Files' volume. However, some of the other folders I want to be protected so general users on the network cannot open those folders or view inside them. E.g. there is a folder in 'Files' which is used to contain backups of each computer on the network. Obviously a dont want User A to be able to navigate to User B's computer backup folder and see the files on their computer.
  • The folders which I want to protect, I dont mind if they request a username and password to enter (or something along those lines), as it will be only myself who would ever need to access them anyway, but I dont want every user to have to have a username/password. I want to keep things simple for them so they're not pestering me with forgotten passwords, etc.
Potential Issues

Currently I use SyncBackPro to run backups on each computer. It knows which folders/files on the computer to backup, and it knows where to mirror them to on the NAS. I guess I will need to set SyncBackPro to be able to use username/password credentials to access the computer backups directory after it is 'locked' for general users?

You can achieve this through ACLs on a samba share. I wrote an overview of some details of SMB permissions here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/methods-for-fine-tuning-samba-permissions.50739/

You can also watch the permissions video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhwOyLtArw0

FYI, veeam has a very nice free desktop backup client for windows that may work better for what you're wanting to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.