Help. Need to install VSL on freenas, is it possible and how?

BWH49

Cadet
HI All

New to freeNAS and need some advice before I go further. I am a Music media composer and I currently run a slave machine for my sound libraries with Vienna ensemble Pro (Vsl) as my link between machines. my question is simple. Can i install VSl on freenas and if so could someone please send my some instructions that someone new to running a server can follow. Much appreciated.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
From looking over the VSL site, they only seem to support Windows and Mac OS. You'll have to install it in a Windows VM to run it on FreeNAS. However, this isn't a good idea for music or sound editing, as I don't believe bhyve runs with real-time interrupts. Sorry, this doesn't look like a good fit for FreeNAS.

Last edited:

anmnz

Patron
I wonder if there is a little bit of confusion here. Is what is actually wanted not literally to 'install VSL on FreeNAS", but to use a FreeNAS server as networked storage and use VSL running on another machine to manage files stored on that server?

In any case I expect VSL's apparent requirement for licensing via a USB dongle would scupper any attempt to run it in a FreeNAS VM.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
It's also likely that a network share for storing files wouldn't work, as VSL seems to want a USB license dongle on any remote systems.