Help Making VNET IPV4 Address of a jail Static

hunter

Explorer
Using FreeNAS v. 11.3 U4.1-1, I have several jails set up using VNET and NAT. The applications in the jails talk to each other so I need the VNET addresses to stay the same between FreeNAS reboots. I used plugins to create the jails and I notice under jail properties -->Basic Properties, IPV4 Interface is set to VNET0 and ipv4 Address is set to 172.16.0.2. These two entries are greyed out and I never input the values. So, I stopped the jail and was hoping to be able to to enter the ipv4 Address manually so that my jail would always receive the same one. But they are still greyed out and I cannot enter anything on those lines.

Is anyone out there enought of a network and jail guru to be able to tell me how to configure for this? I spent a long time with the FreeNAS manual reading about the configuration settings for these jails but I have trouble understanding it. It happens to be a jail created by the couchpotato plugin by the way.

Yorick

Wizard
Disable NAT and Berkeley Packet Filter. Keep VNET on. Set IP address, mask, and default gateway. That should do it.

hunter

Explorer
Thank you very much for the quick reply Yorick.

Is there any way to you know to keep the VNET IPV4 address static, without giving up the NAT addressing? (I inferred NAT addressing is the feature that lets me access the jail by using ports other than 80 on the IPV4 address of my FreeNAS system--when I disable NAT the fields to define the ports also disappear.)

Yorick

Wizard
No, I do not. I really discourage the use of NAT. Use each jail's address and port to access it, don't use the FreeNAS main IP for that. "No NAT is good NAT", as one of my early-in-career supervisors liked to say.

If you need an easy dashboard to access all of your jails, or a way to access multiple jails from "the outside" on 443, all of that can be done without NATing behind the FreeNAS IP.