Help isolating FreeNAS from the domain

pveiga

Cadet
Hi guys,

I'm currently in the process of replacing an old windows server sharing machine with freenas, that is used by a few colleagues to share some files.

We work in a big company with a domain network and various domains controllers, but we want a small independent share with local authentication only, and this worked fine in the windows server we had.
In the process of replacing the windows server machine with freenas, accessing the windows shares from an independet machine (physically connected to the domain network) everything works as expected, however, when using a machine that has joined the domain, authentication fails propting me to insert credentials again and again.

I also tried connecting from a machine that has joined a different domain, and it works.

On the domain machine, i tried the bellow options with no results:

NASHOSTNAME\USER
NASHOSTNAME/USER
NASDOMAIN/USER
NASDOMAIN\USER
NASIP/USER
NASIP\USER

Been googling alot, but all the info i'm able to find is to make the NAS connect to the domain controller for authehtication, what i need is exactly the contrary.

Thanks in advance for the support

ian351c

Patron
I'm not a Windows guru, but did you try "WORKGROUPNAME\USER"? By default the workgroup name is WORKGROUP (under Services/SMB).

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Actually for local users you should use <netbios name of server>\username or check the "enable trusted domains" checkbox under DirectoryService -> Active Directory (note this will cause a service disruption). IF you decide the enable trusted domains AND you actually have a complex AD environment with trusted domains you should configure separate idmap backends for these domains via auxiliary parameters under Services->SMB.