Help installing Game Server to FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spencer Myers

Dabbler
Hello there!

I'm looking to install a game server for ARK: Survival Evolved to my FreeNAS server. I've tried using their wiki with semi-augmented instructions for their linux setup, but haven't had much success. If someone could help me with a FreeNAS walkthrough for this kind of install, that'd be awesome. I've searched everywhere for someone trying to run this kind of server off of FreeNAS but can't really find answers anywhere, so figured I'd try here. Let me know if this is possible, or if I'm just crazy and think my hardware/OS can do more than it's supposed to.

ARK Wiki for Linux Install: http://ark.gamepedia.com/Dedicated_Server_Setup

Step-by-step instructions would be awesome btw!

Server Specs:
Freenas 9.3
i7-4790
32GB RAM
10TB Usable Storage (5TB Available)

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Let's start with the obvious.

Does steamcmd work on freebsd?

If steamcmd doesn't work on freebsd, then it won't work anyway.
Freebsd and Linux are not the same thing either.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I remember tryung similar stuff in the past and one thing that caused a lot of issues was epoll mossing from freebsd's Linux layer. they added this in freebsd 11 but I'm not sure if its getting back ported to any of the freebsd 10 based releases.

this would probably work better on a vanilla freebsd 11 system, or you could use a Linux VM on freenas 10. neither are officially released at the moment, or if you want something stable and would rather have your filesystem less stable use Linux.

Spencer Myers

Dabbler
Does steamcmd work on freebsd?

I'm not entirely sure... I'm pretty new to FreeNAS, so figured I'd ask the question to see if an install like this could work.
I know I was able to install Teamspeak on my server using VirtualBox on 9.3, which I guess is partially Linux...

You could use a Linux VM on freenas 10

Should I try to use the LinuxVM on FreeNAS10, since that's at least closer to a true version of Linux?

Thanks for the replies!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I'm not entirely sure... I'm pretty new to FreeNAS, so figured I'd ask the question to see if an install like this could work.
I know I was able to install Teamspeak on my server using VirtualBox on 9.3, which I guess is partially Linux...

Should I try to use the LinuxVM on FreeNAS10, since that's at least closer to a true version of Linux?

Thanks for the replies!
You could install teamspeak in a jail. You don't need virtualbox.

Spencer Myers

Dabbler
You could install teamspeak in a jail. You don't need virtualbox.
Like I said, super new to FreeNAS, so just fumbling my way through it. The tutorial I found for TS said to do it that way through VirtualBox.

I guess it's just not possible to install an Ark Server on FreeNAS. Thanks again for the responses!

Terydan

Dabbler
Like I said, super new to FreeNAS, so just fumbling my way through it. The tutorial I found for TS said to do it that way through VirtualBox.

I guess it's just not possible to install an Ark Server on FreeNAS. Thanks again for the responses!

I am about to build my own home server for a variety of things, including a storage array and Plex. I recently got into ARK and have decided to up the specs to allow for a game server as well, but have run into the question of what OS. My best options for storage leads to FreeNAS, followed by Ubuntu Server since they support ZFS. I am shying away from Server since I have only a small experience with Linux and not very comprehensive with the command line. I have been vigorously searching compatiblity to run an ARK server and my search led me to this site:

https://wiki.jc-mp.com/Server/Getting_started/FreeBSD_Server

It is for Just Cause 2 and FreeBSD, but the steps should hopefully be the same, substituting files/information for ARK in place of JC2. I have yet to build my system so I cannot try these steps, but I hope that this will help someone looking to do the same and that it may be confirmed as working by the time I complete my build.

FYI, my projected build is:

Case: iStar NAS mini ITX Tower https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811165691
MOBO: SuperMicro 6-Core Xeon-D SOC https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB9455P9195
Main HDD: Samsung EVO 960 m.2 SSD Drive https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K54C9641
RAM: 32GB (16GBx2) Crucial ECC Registered memory
Storage HDD: Mix of WD Red 3TB and Seagate IronWolf 3TB drives

May try to figure out how to set up VMware and virtualize FreeNAS and Ubuntu on two VMs if the hybrid approach above doesn't work, but I read that ZFS is very finicky and problematic if not set up perfectly in a VM.

Status
Not open for further replies.