Help getting IBM M1015 working with FreeNAS 9.1 Beta in ESXi

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockdawg

Cadet
I am running ESXi 5.1 and I am trying to run a FreeNAS 9.1 Beta VM with the M1015 in passthru mode. I have the M1015 crossflashed to a 9211-8 in IT mode. The VM boots up and everything, but the drives connected to the M1015 are not detected by FreeNAS.

I've researched and found numerous complaints of hanging on boot, but, like I said, my VM boots up and I can access the webgui, but FreeNAS just doesn't see the drives. I tried a few suggestions of adding the following tunables with no luck:

hw.intr_storm_threshold=4000
hw.mps.disable_msix=1

Finally, here a section of the log that I think indicates a problem:

Code:
Jul  7 22:21:53 freenas kernel: mps0: <LSI SAS2008> port 0x4000-0x40ff mem 0xd24             00000-0xd2403fff,0xd2440000-0xd247ffff irq 18 at device 0.0 on pci3
Jul  7 22:21:53 freenas kernel: mps0: IOC in unknown state 0xf0000000
Jul  7 22:21:53 freenas kernel: mps0: Cannot transition IOC to ready
Jul  7 22:21:53 freenas kernel: mps0: mps_attach failed to transition ready
Jul  7 22:21:53 freenas kernel: device_attach: mps0 attach returned 22

Anyone have any ideas?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I know my M1015 with ESXi doesn't play completely right with FreeNAS 9. https://support.freenas.org/ticket/2293

I know that ticket is for interrupts but I couldn't access my disks either. But after getting the interrupt storm I knew it wouldn't necessarily work right anyway. Until that ticket is closed I'll be stuck on FreeNAS 8.3.1. Presumably a lot of people will be in that position(probably you too from the looks of it). :(

If you look at that ticket, the posts by noobsauce80 are mine. The "recommended" configuration on the forums for ESXi is an M1015 + PCI passthrough, which is what you and I are doing. There's probably a lot more people that have used our configuration and don't know that FreeNAS 9 isn't an option for us at the moment.

rockdawg

Cadet
OK. I tried it on 8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 as I already had a VM running that and while I'm not seeing anything obvious during boot, I'm not seeing any drives in FreeNAS. Let me state that I am a noob with FreeNAS so maybe I'm not doing it right. I originally set up that VM sometime last year and while I didn't have any problems doing it, I don't recall the steps. But I used RDM'd drives on it not drives on a passthrough controller.

I am expecting that when I boot up freeNAS the attached drives should just show up under Storage>Volumes>View Disks. Is that the way it should work or do I need to do something? Would 8.3.1 make a difference?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I would have tried 8.3.1-p2-x64 first. That's the only version I recommend at this point in time. I know that 8.3.1-p2 works fine on my system. It is also the only version I have personally used in FreeNAS.

rockdawg

Cadet
Ok. I'll Give That A Shot Tomorrow. But The Drives Should Just Appear Without Any Configuration, Right?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
They should, yes. If they don't I don't have any recommendations of things to try without an error message or something that gives a direction to go. It is possible that your hardware doesn't do the PCI passthrough properly. It's far more common than people realize.

What's your hardware?

rockdawg

Cadet
It turns out the problem was me. I thought I did, but I must not have rebooted my ESXi host after I installed the drives. I finally decided to reboot the host and now the drives show. I tried 9.1 again just to see and I get a whole different batch of error messages. I'll just stick with 8.3.1. Thanks for all you help anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.