Help extending a pool

Berkyjay

Contributor
I have 2 unused 6TB HDDs that I want to add to my current pool. I've done this in the past with 3 new HDDs but it's been a while since I've attempted this and I really don't want to mess things up. So I'm hoping someone could give me some guidance. Here's a screen grab of my current pool status. Thanks in advance.

1564244994845.png

danb35

Hall of Famer
There really isn't going to be a good way to add two disks to this pool. You could add them as a mirrored vdev, but it's preferred that all vdevs in a pool match in number of disks, type, and ideally size of disks. If you can get a third disk and have room for all of them in your case, that would be better.

Berkyjay

Contributor
Ugh, that's what I was afraid of. I just spent a lot of money, time, and effort upgrading my rig to use all 8 HDD slots in my case. But when I want to add the two new HDDs I started to see that this might not be possible with my current configuration. I guess I'm going to go with plan be and back everything up and redo my entire pool. :/

That would leave me with five 6TB and three 4TB HDDs. Any advice on how to approach configuring a new pool with those?

danb35

Hall of Famer
That would leave me with five 6TB and three 4TB HDDs. Any advice on how to approach configuring a new pool with those?
Best I could say would two four-disk RAIDZ vdevs, but we really don't like RAIDZ1 with disks > 1 TB.

TAC

Contributor
There really isn't going to be a good way to add two disks to this pool. You could add them as a mirrored vdev, but it's preferred that all vdevs in a pool match in number of disks, type, and ideally size of disks. If you can get a third disk and have room for all of them in your case, that would be better.
@danb35 What's the downside of not matching the size of the disks in two vdevs? I currently have a 6 drive, 4TB, RAIDZ2 vdev in a pool and I'm planning on extending that pool with six 6TB drives.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
What's the downside of not matching the size of the disks in two vdevs? I currently have a 6 drive, 4TB, RAIDZ2 vdev in a pool and I'm planning on extending that pool with six 6TB drives.
If the intent is to have 2 VDEVs for the additional IO, then a mis-match in size will defeat that at some point.

If you expand an existing/partially filled pool, you will probably suffer that already as the writes will all go to the new VDEV for a while until things even out.

If you want to avoid that, you need to rebuild the pool as 2 VDEVs and re-fill it from backup to get it balanced.

TAC

Contributor
If the intent is to have 2 VDEVs for the additional IO, then a mis-match in size will defeat that at some point.

If you expand an existing/partially filled pool, you will probably suffer that already as the writes will all go to the new VDEV for a while until things even out.

If you want to avoid that, you need to rebuild the pool as 2 VDEVs and re-fill it from backup to get it balanced.

Just looking for some additional TBs for my media library. :)

@sretalla if I copied a bunch of files to a temp directory and then back would this tend to even things out between the vdevs?

Last edited:

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Just looking for some additional TBs for my media library. :)
If performance isn't a major concern then it's not likely to impact you, outside of doing very large copies.

@sretalla if I copied a bunch of files to a temp directory and then back would this tend to even things out between the vdevs?
Provided that temp directory is outside the pool in question, yes.

stlkr

Dabbler
Hi,
I need help because I added a new 2TB in my NAS. My intention is mirror my first disk. But I merged the pool accidently. So, now I have 4TB and just ‘one disk’. Can I revert this process to the original and had agiam two disks instead a merged disk? Thanks

Attachments

• AE3E2784-F34D-4F01-986D-1F36065A7779.jpeg
    AE3E2784-F34D-4F01-986D-1F36065A7779.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 270

danb35

Hall of Famer
Can I revert this process to the original and had agiam two disks instead a merged disk?
You can, but you'll need to do it at the CLI. What's the output of zpool status?

stlkr

Dabbler
You can, but you'll need to do it at the CLI. What's the output of zpool status?
Ok. It’s fine for me. My output is

Attachments

• 78F19F13-B15B-4A94-9EE2-0C933BF99618.png
    78F19F13-B15B-4A94-9EE2-0C933BF99618.png
    379.8 KB · Views: 273

danb35

Hall of Famer
So to remove the second disk, you'd run zpool remove Disco1 gptid/blah, where "blah" is the identifier of your second disk (which I can't copy/paste from a screen shot). Allow that to complete (which you can monitor with zpool status), and then you can remove the second disk. You can't add it to your pool as a mirror through the GUI--despite an outstanding feature request for over five years, the devs haven't bothered to add that feature. You can, however, do that through the GUI CLI; there are other threads here with instructions.

Last edited:

stlkr

Dabbler
So to remove the second disk, you'd run zpool remove Disco1 gptid/blah, where "blah" is the identifier of your second disk (which I can't copy/paste from a screen shot). Allow that to complete (which you can monitor with zpool status), and then you can remove the second disk. You can't add it to your pool as a mirror through the GUI--despite an outstanding feature request for over five years, the devs haven't bothered to add that feature. You can, however, do that through the GUI; there are other threads here with instructions.
It works. Thank you so much. I will investigate a tutorial to implement the mirror in my second disk.

sretalla