Which NAS OS should I use?

• Freenas

• Openmediavault

• Unraid

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

tfran1990

Patron
I am aware of SMR's draw backs they were horrid 10 years ago but they have got better so this doesnt bother me as i am technically archiving stuff also since there will quite a few drives and there all 2tb rebuilding the pool shouldn't actually take that long.

Some of us have delt with SMR drives and have actual freenas experience using them. just because you have "quite a few drives" wont make the rebuild faster. TBH slow rebuild with SMR is only 1/4 of the reason there considered a bad idea.

Freenas works great, but its important to make sure you dont do any of the "DO NOT DO's"
Members have pointed out alot of DONTS, but you seem to have a reason as to why you are going to do them anyway.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I am aware of SMR's draw backs they were horrid 10 years ago
The first consumer available SMR drive was launched in 2014, just saying. ;)

The bandaids on the performance (larger/faster cache landing areas) have gotten better but the underlying pathology remains the same; blow out the write cache, and your write latency skyrockets. A workload of "largely archival" works, but the ongoing VM and game-server workload will eventually take its toll. Stay inside the write cache and you'll be fine, but exceed it and you'll find out fast.

Most people have there nas running on 2 core 4 thread I3's far as what I have seen.

Most people also aren't running a gaming VM and a couple of game servers on it though.

CrackJack

Dabbler
The first consumer available SMR drive was launched in 2014, just saying. ;)

The bandaids on the performance (larger/faster cache landing areas) have gotten better but the underlying pathology remains the same; blow out the write cache, and your write latency skyrockets. A workload of "largely archival" works, but the ongoing VM and game-server workload will eventually take its toll. Stay inside the write cache and you'll be fine, but exceed it and you'll find out fast.

Most people also aren't running a gaming VM and a couple of game servers on it though.
I was thinking of Hitachi 10k drives I had I thought they were SMR they arent I was wrong.

Well the servers the will be run on SSD's plus Arma and MC are very singlethreaded programs they like fast single cores so I am not really worried about them taking up to much cpu performance and they wont be on 24/7 maybe once/twice a week for 2-4 hours.