Hello from Stirling, UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThyWhiteHawk

Dabbler
Hi,

This is my first FreeNAS (and indeed FreeBSD) project, but luckily I've been using Linux since the mid '90s... so I'm not a total noob to the CLI ;-)

I'm currently making my home file-server ( http://www.gavsworld.net/?page=The Server ) more rugged, since CrashPlan have announced that they are stopping support of their "home" product (meaning that computer-to-computer backups will be no more, and the "small business" plan is much more than I'm paying for the "home" cloud service). I'll still have a backup solution (currently undecided, as I've got until September before my CrashPlan "home" stops), but I figured that having a more rugged file-system on the server in the first place will help :smile:

Cheers,
Gavin.

Nick2253

Wizard
Unless you data needs are small, unfortunately there aren't many good Linux-supported cloud backup options. In my research, the CrashPlan SMB plan at $10/mo is the most cost effective if you need 2TB or more of backup. Even Amazon Glacier exceeds $10/mo at 2.5TB, and then you're stuck with extremely high latency recovery (not to mention having to pay for that traffic).

Backblaze B2 is pretty competitive at $0.005/GB, and is well supported by many open source tools, but you're still looking at $10+/mo if you're backing up any kind of volume.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong, so if you come up with something better, please let us know.

ThyWhiteHawk

Dabbler
Yeah, I've pretty much come to the same conclusions myself. I suspect that when my "home" subscription runs out (September), that I'll probably switch over to SMB - at the end of the day it's only an extra $5 a month more than I'm paying just now (although, it is a 100% increase if you look at it from a different angle!)

I'll probably end up running CrashPlan on my FreeNAS box - I suspect that my current Intel Atom low power server will end up as another desktop PC in the house... and no point setting up a Linux VM to run it when it can simply run in a FreeNAS jail :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.