Hello from Netherlands

jacovn

Cadet
Hello all,

I have installed FreeNAS on a test server, and will migrate all my zfsguru servers (no more support/development since some years) to FreeNAS.
Since I read not to positive posts on importing existing zfsguru pools into FreeNAS I am copying data over though SMB shares (PC intermediate).

It is a bit slow as my test server has only old 1 TB drives. The other servers have 3 and 4 TB drives. All 10 GE networking in between. Once I free up the least full server I will have decent speed with 10 hdd raid-z2 volumes (scrubs do 880 MB/sec)
Finally I can move away from smb v1 which became an issue lately in windows 10 :(

The servers all have Xeon E3 processors (V1 V2 and V3) and 32 GB memory on supermicro mainboards.
I use norco 20 bay and ri-vier 24 bay cases. 2x m1015 in IT mode and 4 internal sata interfaces result in 2 pools with each 1 raid-Z2 vdev.
Servers are about 4-6 years old and store movies.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Welcome to the FreeNAS forums.

Some friendly advice... Read the Forum Rules, it includes stuff like what to include when asking for help in a posting. This is actually critical to us here who answer postings because we have no idea about your system or problem. Seriously just pretend we are clueless and describe the problem and equipment in painful detail. This will help us provide you quick and relevant help.

It sounds like you have a few servers on your hands and have some ZFS experience, very good to hear. One day I'll get 10GBE at my house but that is not today. You have a lot of storage to save movies. I stopped doing that a few years ago, I store only about 100 movies (and slowly dropping) because I just don't watch most of them frequently but if I wanted to watch something not on the server, I'll just pop in the DVD. I think the movies watched most are what the grandkids watch, and I'd rather them not ruin my DVDs.

Again, welcome to FreeNAS Forum, we all hope you enjoy them.

jacovn

Cadet
Thank you. Did read a lot here already.

I have 4 x zfsguru units running.

Test unit has only 5x 1TB hd and 1 x4TB

I ordered today 10x 8 TB for take out 10 x 3 TB hdd's of a server and back in the 10 new HDD's and the old once to test unit and later use the test server for new storage.

As for the movie watching, the kids watch stuff on Netflix. I like to re-watch older movies I seen once many years ago. So i store what i want to watch again basically. Did not see a lot of movies last year so I have quite some collection not watched yet.

10 GE I bought as I work as network engineer so less of a hurdle to use it at home. Ubiquty hardware, Direct Attach SFP+ cables and Intel X520-DA2 cards. Limit is the souce PC which tops out on 350 MB/sec and smb v1.0 of the ZFSguru machines.

As pictures tell more than words

full.jpg

From top down:
Dahua NVR
Synology RS3411RPxs
Rivier 12 bay case with 6x 4TB
Rivier 24 bay case with 10x 4 and 10x 8TB
Norco 4220 case with 10x 4 and 10x 4TB
Rivier 24 bay case with 10x 4 and 10x 3TB
Norco 4220 case with 10x 3TB

Last edited: