Hello from Idaho

SteveRS

Cadet
I have been doing minimal work on a FreeNAS system for a couple of years now. I just wanted a place to store media files for the home network and This system seemed good with Emby as a plugin.

I'm fairly technically minded (at least I hope my boss thinks so), so I have a few computers and other gadgets around.

I'm using an ASUS i3 motherboard with 16GB DDR3 RAM and an m.2 512GB drive to run from. I've got a couple of 3TB drives using ZFS and will probably add a couple of more soon. My big thing is to get Emby to run well for longer than 3 months!

I'm sure that I will learn a lot from all of the people here and look forward to interacting with everyone.

Thanks

NASbox

Guru
Welcome to the group. I've used FreeNAS since v8 and found it very reliable (although I am careful about when I chose to update).

Please let us know how you make out with Emby. I've been waiting to upgrade from 11.1 to 11.2 because of all the bugs I see in the bug tracker. I'm hoping to add something like emby in 11.2-U5 (hopefully most of the bugs will be gone).

SteveRS

Cadet
Thanks for the welcome!

It seems that something breaks with Emby every few months, but not always with the FreeNAS install directly. for example, around November of last year, Roku updated its Emby client app and so the server would no longer connect with it, so no streaming media. It took FreeNAS a while to update their plugin so it would update, but after a few weeks it was updated and worked fine.

There is a new problem, but I'm not sure if something I did caused it or not, so I will start a thread on it and see what kind of help I get.

NASbox

Guru
Thanks for the welcome!

It seems that something breaks with Emby every few months, but not always with the FreeNAS install directly. for example, around November of last year, Roku updated its Emby client app and so the server would no longer connect with it, so no streaming media. It took FreeNAS a while to update their plugin so it would update, but after a few weeks it was updated and worked fine.

There is a new problem, but I'm not sure if something I did caused it or not, so I will start a thread on it and see what kind of help I get.

Please keep me posted. Thanks!