Hello everyone from Haarlem, The Netherlands

derkxr

Cadet
Hi All,

I'm from the ages when a 5 week highschool summer job would pay for a huge 3kB upgrade on standard 1kB RAM in my Rockwell AIM-65 system;-)
My first IBM compatible PC was assembled from bits and pieces bought here and there, started out as a floppy only system (360kB) and was later expanded with a real 5MB harddisk! And even later with a V.21 modem for 300bps full duplex connections to somewhat obscure bulletin boards.
So ordering a couple of 12TB drives online the other day could or should have been something very special but it wasn't actually.
Some 40 years in between kind of blurred the memories, but thinking about some kind of introduction here I thought it kind of fun: the 3KB memory upgrade cost me some 350 Euro back then, so 12TB would add up to 1400 Billion! That kind of investment would have been hard to explain to my wife.....

Now for FreeNAS, I've been using it for a couple of years and a real fan. The 12TB drives went into a system ment to concentrate all other storage (2 more FreeNAS systems included). Tackling a couple of strange (for me) error messages on the console of this new build could have been another one-man challenge like 6502 Assembly language programming way back, but then there is of course the internet and a forum such as this;-)

So here I am!

Regards,
Richard

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
12TB drives? You've got me beat for sure, totally feeling storage envy now. Welcome!

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Now for FreeNAS, I've been using it for a couple of years and a real fan. The 12TB drives went into a system ment to concentrate all other storage (2 more FreeNAS systems included). Tackling a couple of strange (for me) error messages on the console of this new build could have been another one-man challenge like 6502 Assembly language programming way back, but then there is of course the internet and a forum such as this;-)
I did some simple 6502 assembly language coding in highschool in the late 80's. I avoided the mess that was PC computing back then when I bought my Apple IIgs in '87-88, then didn't get into BSD (by way of SunOS) until about '92. All of the BBSes way back then were strange and cool at the same time, I had accounts all over the place, many I forgot or intentionally abandoned. There were some cool things even in '92, especially before the extreme commercialization of the internet.