Hello All

Hello All. I'm a newbie to the FreeNas Community. I got a lot to learn. I want to plan/design my own NAS/Media server for home use. This is such a nerve racking process because I don't know what I don't know. I want to get it right the first time so I'm looking from some wisdom from the pros, semipros and even other newbies. I don't discriminate. Thanks in advance!

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Welcome to the first step of your FreeNAS journey! Let us know when you have questions, we're happy to help answer what we can.

Hello Kris. Thank you very much. I have done a lot of You Tube videos and research on the web and I have an ideal on the parts that I want to use for the NAS, but I can't seem to nail down the type of motherboard and CPU I should be going with. A lot of people say to go with a server grade mobo or a consumer base mobo. I've never dealt with a server mobo but since I'm going to be using FreeNas I don't need server software am I correct? I want to stay with a Micro ATX mobo as I got a specific case I want to use but can you give some suggestions on what mobo and CPU to use.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
There are a lot of schools of thought on this one. Obvious you try to go for the best hardware you can afford. ECC memory and server-grade gear will usually be more reliable than a cheap-o desktop gear solution. The hardware requirements themselves are fairly minimal, but be sure to get as much ram as you can. ZFS will happily use it to make things faster.

Of course, if you want to take the guess-work out of it, we do have our Mini product which its fully vetted and running enterprise grade gear :)