Hello All, Home Server Enthusiast checking in!

Breezewood

Cadet
Hello everyone, I hail from the somewhat mediocre state of Illinois, USA and I have been a Home Server Enthusiast since the days of WHS in 2011. I have moved on from the cobbled together hardware that I used for that system as well as from that OS. While I do use a Windows-based Hypervisor on my server, I have been dabbling in FreeNAS for about 6 months to a year in a VM and recently upgraded it to TrueNAS.

While my server isn't as crazy as some of the setups that I have seen on a homelab-related Reddit channel that I also am part of, it's really no slouch even though it is about ten years old on average. I am also not as skilled with *nix-based OSes as I am with Windows but I am constantly learning, as I have with hardware and operating systems since I cut my teeth on i386-based machines in the early '90's.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Welcome to the forums. Normally I'd say something long-winded but not today. It sounds like you have some good experience and we have one major thing in common, a 10+ year old computer.

since I cut my teeth on i386-based machines in the early '90's.
lol, I cut my teeth on and 8080 and NEC V20 and V30 cpus, they did not require heatsinks, and had a whopping 40 pins to connect it to the motherboard. I'm old as dirt I guess.

Have fun and enjoy the forums.

Breezewood

Cadet
Welcome to the forums. Normally I'd say something long-winded but not today. It sounds like you have some good experience and we have one major thing in common, a 10+ year old computer.

lol, I cut my teeth on and 8080 and NEC V20 and V30 cpus, they did not require heatsinks, and had a whopping 40 pins to connect it to the motherboard. I'm old as dirt I guess.

Have fun and enjoy the forums.

Old Farts Unite! We'll keep those whippersnappers off of our lawns!