HDD selection. Eos vs. Ironwolf.

crkinard

Explorer
OK. This has been bugging me. Well more confusing me. The price of two 14TB hard drives on Newegg.

ST14000VN0008
14TB
1M hours MTBF, 3-year limited warranty.
$439

ST14000NM001G
14TB
2.5M hours MTBF, 5-year limited warranty.
$343

Is there really ANY reason I should take the more expensive Ironwolf over the Eos for a FreeNAS home box? Is there anything I am missing here? The 5 year warranty and higher spec HDD is LESS than the 3 year warranty lower spec?

o_Oo_Oo_O

blanchet

Guru
EOS are datacenter hard drives (Helium sealed-drive). They are better than IronWolf.
It is probably a Black Friday discount because usually EOS are more expensive than IronWolf.

crkinard

Explorer
Yeah it looks like their price tanked end of October according to PricePicker.

Crepidus

Cadet
I believe it has to do with the factory formatting that comes with the drives: EXOS ships in 512e format, support either 512e or 4Kn Fast Format logical sector size while IronWolf is probably pre-formatted 4K. This means to get efficient performance in your NAS from EXOS, you must Flash format your EXOs drives, which might be why the price(demand) is lower. (Just a guess - because I'm only just learning about the same thing)

artlessknave

Wizard
ironwolfs are 512e. 4kn platters are relatively rare, because all drives are already 4kn native and emulate 512e anyway, since 512e is the the most compatible, and you dont really lose much, if any, real performance from them, so just get whichever is cheapest.