HBA\LSI would it improve overall performance

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You've got 10 SATA ports on that board so there's no reason to add an HBA. With 8 data drives you could also run an SSD for a boot device as well. That's what I would do.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hello all

I am planning on getting a Supermicro ATX DDR4 LGA 2011 Motherboards X10SRI-F-O along with a Xeon processor for a plex\vm storage server and was wondering if I should also purchase an HBA\LSI card for my storage connection? I will be using 8x3TB WD Red's for my storage.
If you didn't make this purchase yet, you could save significantly with a slightly older system like this:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Hello all

I am planning on getting a Supermicro ATX DDR4 LGA 2011 Motherboards X10SRI-F-O along with a Xeon processor for a plex\vm storage server and was wondering if I should also purchase an HBA\LSI card for my storage connection? I will be using 8x3TB WD Red's for my storage.

No, it will not improve performance. An HBA has additional processing overhead compared to mainboard SATA. HDD performance is only slightly impacted, whereas a fully saturated SSD setup can experience significant performance penalties.