HBA card... dell H310

viph

Explorer
Hi there,
I purchase a dell PERC H310, supposed to be new on ebay, with the idea to flash it to IT mode.
But... the card is not seen by the system.
the sas2flash utilities returns me "no LSI stuff here" (in short).
the same system (Asus B250 + G4560 + 32 GB + cheap SATA card) was woking fine.
Should I assume the card faulty or some tweak at bios/uefi level ?
Any sense to swap or change slots for RAM ?

viph

Explorer
add... i remove the additional 1 GB NIC card, just in case, no change

viph

Explorer
nota, I did not connect any hard drive yet...

viph

Explorer
Thanks Johnnie Black but I did follow this mod, even tried with double layer, just in case it might have been scratch...

only additional info I missed to see before : green slow blinking led on the card.

viph

Explorer
Hi there,
the EBAY seller sent me another card...
but seems I do have the same behavior.
any idea ?
(I'm closed to HW suicide :smile:)

Peter G

Dabbler
Hi,

You did not state the exact motherboard name... but guessing from the items list you probably stumbled on the limitations of the B250 chipset. Example from ASUS PRIME B250-Plus motherboard. (You need to check your specific manual...)

PCI-e and PCI ports on board.

1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 mode, gray)
1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (max at x4 mode, black) *1
2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x1
2 x PCI

The little asterix says: 1.When an M.2 device in PCIe mode is installed onto the M.2_1 socket, PCIe x16_2 slot only runs at x1 mode

Note that the Dell Perc needs x8 mode so neither x4 or x1 mode will work. Hence no Dell Perc detected.

If you have the B250 Mining card... check the bios for setting of PCI-E ...

Some ideas...

/PG

viph

Explorer
Hi Peter, thanks a lot for your feedback.

Asus B250M-A
hence with 1 x PCIe x16 and 2 x PCIe x1
of course,HBA card sloted in x16

I don't use M2 disk

I crawled the BIOS but will do it again :smile:

viph

Explorer
i found a parameter about M2... switched it from PCIe et SATA.
somehow, it "unlocked" additional submenu about the card H310.
so, yes, i "see" it within BIOS

but if i let the boot to run all the way.... nothing appears further and "sas2flash" sees nothing

Peter G

Dabbler
Hi, you say: let the boot run all the way... into what ... a DOS environment or UEFI? Don't try from a DOS/command prompt in Windows.
(I don´t have that card myself so I can not try sas2flash on a Dell card and see expected output, maybe someone else can help on that matter).

Have you made a Dos-bootable disc/USB-stick with megacli and other tools? (an example disk image is on the page linked below... no warranties if it is virus-free, so use with caution and at own risk).

Try MegaCli.exe -AdpAllInfo -aAll from a bootable DOS-disk/stick. It should report info about the card.

* Added Link to a page for crossflashing another manufacturers card but basically the same procedure... https://forums.unraid.net/topic/57815-fujitsu-d2607-8i-crossflash-to-lsi-9211-8i/

Found this video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYYzfAaDLTs to visualize the process.

Hope it works for you
/PG